What kind of floor does your tank sit on?

kayakatl

Market
Reaction score
So, 2 weeks ago I had a "little" flood. (read: I had an arc to get from one side of the room to the tank) Now in one spot there is a GIANT, (like 3 inch) tall hump right infront of my tank. I have beeen living here about a month and 1/2. Just long enough to know that if a corner could be cut, it was. So i pull back carpet to see what kind of "plywood" was under that carpet, or perhaps he put some carpet over laminate... etc. Come to find out over a crawlspace this fool used MDF, Or some sort of particle board. :doh: :shout:

Ok, so in place of a further rant here I would like to ask, what is your tank sitting on. Should I tear the whole room up and go marine grade plywood for the sub floor? What on top of that? Is laminate going to be a nightmare? I know most likely hardwood will be a popular option, but I am not in a position to go hardwoods there yet. Is there a way to seal a laminate floor to make it a bit waterproof with out totally breaking the bank? I am up to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

My 90 was on laminate for 3 years with no problem.Now my 120g is where the 90 was. My 90 was on my hardwood and messed it up .Hands down will never own hardwood again.laminate is so cheap and holds up waaaaay better imo.I spilt about 4 gallons once and never had a problem.

MarkL;560927 wrote: My 90 was on laminate for 3 years with no problem.Now my 120g is where the 90 was. My 90 was on my hardwood and messed it up .Hands down will never own hardwood again.laminate is so cheap and holds up waaaaay better imo.I spilt about 4 gallons once and never had a problem.
So what did you have? Laminate or hardwood?

I put down pergo just for my new tank had carpet before tile would be ideal only hard to level my guess

To the OP: Your subfloor is OSB (Oriented Strand Board), also sometimes called "flake board". I hate the stuff, but it meets code. Oh well.

I would personally replace the stuff in the area under/around the tank with real plywood subflooring if it's practical... but that's quite a job for most DIY'ers.

My tank is presently on travertine tile over a plywood subfloor, but the new build will be on pine flooring over plywood.

it was on hardwood (gone through errors, lol), now Travertine.....:)

If OSB gets wet, you can punch a hole through it with your fist. I would replace at least a 4x8 area with a piece of plywood under the tank ASAP.

beccamc10;560955 wrote: Dont want to thread jack. You have a PM

No problem... since it is the subject of the thread I'll respond here too.

Becca cautioned about a tank on pine due to damage if it got wet (soaked) combined with the weight of the tank.

In this case, the DT will be the only thing upstairs. Everything else (sump, skimmer, fuge, DSB, water storage, pumps) will be underneath in a dedicated equipment room (on a sealed concrete basement floor). If my floors get wet, I have more problems than just a few boards to replace!

mine is on hardwood on slab right now.....will be on carpet on slab in my next residence.....

MvM;560933 wrote: So what did you have? Laminate or hardwood?

My old house had hardwoods and my dogs labs scratched it all up.When I took the tank down I had stains from the water.I moved and took the 90 the with me. My new house has laminate and the dogs never scratched it and if something messes up I can fix it my self. I do like the look of real wood but with kids It want happen for me.

The problem with most of our floors once they are wet is that we don't properly dry them out after the flood. I'm not sure when your house was built but some of the older ones actually had particle board as a subfloor . It would never completely dry out and therefore fell apart. if you choose to replace the subfloor I recommend a product called advantech. It is a tongue and groove sheet product that is used almost exclusively in new home construction and has been for years. If you think about it almost every house that is built has rainfall on it before it is dried in(roofed) Why are not the floors in them rotten or falling apart? Because they are allowed to dry out. No matter what you choose to use it will need to be dried after substantial moisture gets to it. Even the subfloor under Tile will rot if moisture is allowed to it and not properly dried out.

beccamc10;560957 wrote: Not to mention that my hardwood are the original from 1957. It is hardwood on floor truss. 4 inch wide slat with nothing in between. If you go into the crawlspace you can the hardwood from blow(kinda Scary)...
Are you sure it is not an actual subfloor. The reason I ask is at one time wood slats were used as a subfloor and were ran diagonally across the floor joist. Then the hardwoods laid on that.

grouper therapy;560984 wrote: Are you sure it is not an actual subfloor. The reason I ask is at one time wood slats were used as a subfloor and were ran diagonally across the floor joist. Then the hardwoods laid on that.

My mother's home is built that way.

It would really have to be some kind of subfloor... otherwise during the entire construction process (right up until the finish) the workers would have had to walk around on the joists. :eek:

Concrete FTW!!! The perks of a basement in-wall, the fish room floor is the foundation!

grouper therapy;560980 wrote: The problem with most of our floors once they are wet is that we don't properly dry them out after the flood. I'm not sure when your house was built but some of the older ones actually had particle board as a subfloor . It would never completely dry out and therefore fell apart. if you choose to replace the subfloor I recommend a product called advantech. It is a tongue and groove sheet product that is used almost exclusively in new home construction and has been for years. If you think about it almost every house that is built has rainfall on it before it is dried in(roofed) Why are not the floors in them rotten or falling apart? Because they are allowed to dry out. No matter what you choose to use it will need to be dried after substantial moisture gets to it. Even the subfloor under Tile will rot if moisture is allowed to it and not properly dried out.

I use that stuff when i build tables for the shop, it can hold up a 350 chevy no prob without much support. I built a table for my little carport and it gets wet everytime it rains. It held up great for 3 years somewhat in the weather. I looks like partical board but its so much better. Have you thought of tileing where you want your tank?

House is on a slab. Current 100g is on tile. 180 upgrade will be on carpet. That's what the wife says. (which equals living room woot woot!)

Smoothie;561018 wrote: House is on a slab. Current 100g is on tile. 180 upgrade will be on carpet. That's what the wife says. (which equals living room woot woot!)

a slab in south Ga. ? no way!!:)

Back