What kind of floor does your tank sit on?

+3 on the advantech. When I built sunrooms I switched to that because the plywood would buckle if we got rain before it was dried in (Advantech would not). It has a 50 year warranty. Its still basically OSB but uses a different glue that seals the wood in the manufacturing process. Home depot also has a brand. I think its called true floor or something

smartwater;560935 wrote: I put down pergo just for my new tank had carpet before tile would be ideal only hard to level my guess

I have all pergo on a slab - this stuff is pretty durable, this floor has seen 100's of gallons of water since I started the hobby and is so far so good....

Concrete, with a floor drain! :tongue2:

(Basement inwall with fish room behind)

As a little background on the house...

Original house was built in 73. It has been added onto several times since. The fish room is on the split level of the house. 1/2 story above where I want to build my sump room and 1/2 below my living room. This is the only part of the house over a crawl space. The good news is this allows me to easily re support the floor where I plan on placing my 150 build.
Now... as for the sub floor and flood. It is new carpet over either OSB or particle board, MDF... anyway you cut it, it was the wrong choice to be where it is. It was actually an RO flood, so no salt to speak of. So what does this Advantech run per 4x8 sheet? Has anyone ever had a problem with laminate floor and floods? Strange thing is that I only have that 3 inch high bubble on a 2x2 foot area while the flood covered much more floor. My problem is that the 55 wobbles if you step a bit to hard in the room. Freaks HoneyB out. I am concerned, of coarse.

So... do I redo sub floor and put the carpet back or go with laminate?

Since it is over a crawl space, why not build an emergency "floor drain" into the bottom of your stand that drains into a corner of the crawl space?

kayakATL;561085 wrote: Freaks HoneyB out. I am concerned, of coarse.

lol after reading the comment about being able to punch a whole through that stuff, I think I just became a tad more freaked out :unsure:

To add a question to the original post... If one used laminate wood flooring... what mm thickness is your flooring? Does anyone know what type of weight load various brands and thickness of laminate are capable of withstanding for the longest durability?

HoneyB627;561157 wrote: To add a question to the original post... If one used laminate wood flooring... what mm thickness is your flooring? Does anyone know what type of weight load various brands and thickness of laminate are capable of withstanding for the longest durability?
Not sure what you are asking? The flooring doesn't really have a rating. The subfloor is what holds the weight. Now if you're wondering about compression such as legs making an indention etc the laminate is far superior to hardwood.

johnr2604;561159 wrote: Not sure what you are asking? The flooring doesn't really have a rating. The subfloor is what holds the weight. Now if you're wondering about compression such as legs making an indention etc the laminate is far superior to hardwood.

Pretty much, from a lot of things I've read in various places this morning, obviously overtime any flooring is going to take abuse from something so heavy sitting in the same place... I was/am concerned with it. I wasn't sure if the 6mm, 8mm, 12mm thickness availability had anything to do with durability or if it was more a stat of laminate that determines how it feels for instance.

HoneyB627;561160 wrote: Pretty much, from a lot of things I've read in various places this morning, obviously overtime any flooring is going to take abuse from something so heavy sitting in the same place... I was/am concerned with it. I wasn't sure if the 6mm, 8mm, 12mm thickness availability had anything to do with durability or if it was more a stat of laminate that determines how it feels for instance.
Gotcha, I'm not sure between thicknesses. Good question maybe someone can answer that. I would imagine it would play a role as well as the manufacture, quality etc.

I think this would be a good time to also mention... that the current and future tanks will be running parallel with the joist. I suppose I will put a few of the concrete deck supports with 4x4s to help support the high load joist. There is only about 2 feet between the dirt and the joist, but I really don't feel like trying to pour proper footings with such a short space to work with. Avantech does not seem to be as pricy as i had thought. Anyone know where I can get the 5/8 thickness? I do not thing i need the 23/32.

Oh, is this the HD brand of Advantech?
ProductDisplay

Mines on hardwood...not sure whats beneath that. I'd rather not know.

You must be careful with which finish laminate flooring you choose, Some of it is a fiber(mdf) core while others are veneer core. If you must use the laminate type flooring I would definitely opt for the veneer core.

Brand new hardwood floors that are already showing signs of wear due to two leaking tanks, stupid hobby....

gmpolan;561472 wrote: Brand new hardwood floors that are already showing signs of wear due to two leaking tanks, stupid hobby....

.....fix the leak!

Seems like people are focused on the effect (wet floors) rather than the cause (overflow/leak) in this thread. Don't blame the typical floor material, blame the human for not doing things right the first time! :)

Dustin

RedEDGE2k1;561533 wrote: .....fix the leak!

Seems like people are focused on the effect (wet floors) rather than the cause (overflow/leak) in this thread. Don't blame the typical floor material, blame the human for not doing things right the first time! :)

Dustin

Dude he did everything right, He water tested it and everything, he just got a bad tank it happens, why dont you try to give some advice on how to be a perfect human rather than assuming he didnt do it right. Geez I dont ever see you trying to help somebody man.. Your supposed to be really good at wood work right I've seen pics of your work and they are top notch so help somebody with some advice with it

Back