What lights are we using now?

elfloyd

Supporting
Reaction score
Not sure if we are able to create a "Poll", so I'll just ask outright.

What type of lights are you using?
<ol>
<li>Metal Halide only</li>
<li>Metal Halide with T5 or LED supplement</li>
<li>T5 only</li>
<li>T5 with LED supplement</li>
<li>LED only</li>
<li>LED with T5 supplement</li>
<li>Other? (other combinations, etc)</li>
</ol>
I'm using RapidLED fixtures with 2 x T5 supplements (but may be looking to change).

Back to metal halide/T5 combo over my 90 soft reef. Used LED unit for 2years, never could get it dialed in right. It was good but, MH/T5 combo is my old faithful... really like this unit. Don t really have excessive heat issues. So for now, it s MH/T5 combo for me.

Kind of my thinking too. What fixture are you using? I'm thinking of the Hamilton Cebu Sun... but not sure.

ATI 6 bulb T-5 w/ a couple reef brite LEd's for my SPS tank, AI Hydras fro my softy tank.

6 bulb T5 over my new 120. On my old tank I had in Colorado I used a T5 MH combo and loved it, was 2x double ended 150w MH and 4 T5 bulbs.

SB Reef 16" Basic, 3 of them. Blue's at 80% White 25%

Kessil 160's, 2 of them. Blue only 80%

T5 Retro fit 80w, 2 of them (4 bulbs total, 2 front 2 back) 3 ATI Blue+ & 1 ATI Purple+

T5's run from Noon to 4:30 and when they're on there's roughly 720w over the tank. When the T5's are off there's 460w. Tank is 6'x2'x30" lights are 10" above the tank and about 11.5" above the surface of the water. The growth and color I'm seeing is pretty good I think.

I've got three tanks all running LED. Kessils and the 140 has a Ocean Revive t247 as well.

I'm newer to the hobby... I feel like MH is a legacy, comfort thing. You're used to it, not much to figure out or mess around with. Not that there's anything wrong those things. Maybe not.

For what its worth I have seen several incredible  (500+ gallon systems) 10+yr old tanks using MHs.  The growth and color was amazing.  But, obviously you have to deal with heat issues, the expense of electricity and replacing bulbs.  LEDs are amazing.  But, I really think they need to be supplimented with T5s.  Since adding T5s along with my leds I have seen improvement in growth and coral.

I am waiting for the right used retro fits for my 140g.

The club has new 24" retro fit t5s for $15 each (they are not HO though).  Its what I use over my DT.

I was using a 32 inch Reef Breeder over a 90 before I moved last week.  I put two Radion XR30's over my temporary 100 tank last night.  I have not tinkered around with the lighting too much, but all of my coral came back to life after having no light for several days.

elfloyd,

I m using a 48 inch 2x250 MH /T5 x 4 50 watts with 18 moon lights. I got very  very lucky . It is a Current Outer Orbit combo fixture. I bought it on ebay from a guy in Minnesota. Of course, they don t make these great units any more. At first he said local pickup only! Of course, i m not driving to Minnesota, lol. I kept after him and he finally agreed to ship if I paid the shipping. The fixture is in immaculate shape! Looks brand new. Well made. Shame they stopped making these fixtures. It s over my 90 and doing great... heat is no problem... run s small fan along with it s on fan. He gave me a great deal. If I could afford it, I would have bought a Hamilton Cebu Sun fixture like you are interested in. I ve heard great things about them. I just couldn’t afford buying one. Hope this helps.

You know it

8 lamp ATI Sunpower over my 16" 80g

Been through the gamut of lights. I just like T5 I guess :)

2 XR30 G3, 1 XR30 G4, 1 48" Reefbrite XHO Blue and 2 T5 supplement over my Red Sea Reefer XL525.

LEDs + T5s right now, I'd like to go full T5 eventually

Running two AI Sol Blue fixtures + 2x54w ATI Blue+ T5 bulbs

Back