What nano is best?

steagfs

Reaction score
I am considering getting a nano for xmas and was wondering what experience you guys had with the different brands. I am considering the finnex m 20, jbj nano cube 24,oceanic biocube 29, or the current usa aquapod sunpaq 24.

I am leaning to the finnex just because I like the look and it comes with a skimmer. It only comes with 2x36w PCs with no moonlight LED's. I really like those blue LEDs so that may be a deal breaker. Anyway, any input will be appreciated.

Finnex tanks are ******! I would definitly go with that. I have a JBJ 6g cube and I love it also but the options for flow and such with a nice finnex are really great.

oh and you can mod the hell out of lights so dont let that hold you back...but I dont understand there is a price point for each of these.

Finnex has a nice 30 gallon with multiple lighting options.

A co-worker of mine posted http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4423">this thread</a> for me before I was a member here. It'll be interesting to see if anyone has changed their opinions.

:)

[QUOTE=][B]GordoB;39376 wrote:[/B] Thanks for all the input!!! I've passed this along to her, and I know she's trying to decide which route to go. We'll let you know.

Brad[/QUOTE]

Which route did I go?

Ummm....

<span style="font-size: 11px;">(90gDrilledWith33gFuge/Sump)</span>

(but I'd still like to get a nano someday)

i would go with the aqua pod cause you can get the most water volume and still get a glass tank but if your ok with acylic then go with the bio cube it has the best lighting

I would probably choose the Aqua Pod from that group. I like the lighting configuration on the Aqua Pod with the separate switches and power cords for day, actinic and LED's.

Are you looking at just the standard versions or are you thinking about the HQI versions? I have a 28g HQI Nano Cube and I love it! It is a bit more expensive but the included protein skimmer, wave timer, dual return pumps, 150w 14K HQI and other nifty stuff make this a pretty awesome reef tank out of the box.

I would go custom as none of the smaller tanks are really that kick butt. The Red Sea Max is nice, but they all have their downsides. 24"x24" and 18" tall, center overflow, center closed loop and a glass tank rather than acrylic. Put it on a stand that is about 6" taller than your normal stand (allowing room for a real skimmer such as a DAS) and use 6 T5s overdriven across the top of the canopy along with a CurrentUSA PowerBrite bar for shimmer and a Ecoplus lunar light to top it off. Maybe an Eheim pump for the CL and a smaller one for the return.

That would be my pick.

I have a 24g Aquapod with the 150 HQI. I've added an additional pump.

You're welcome to check it out although you're not too close.

If the Solana was out when I bought this, I would have gotten that one.

a>

I have the 29 gallon Biocube and LOVE it! Had the 14 gallon Biocube, and moved up.

Oceanic (the makers of the Biocube) just came out with a skimmer that was built specifically for the 14 and 29 that fits in the first chamber. As soon as Blue Planet gets one, I'm getting it!

I'm a big zoanthid, ricordea and soft corals lover, so no need for me to upgrade lighting just yet.

BTW, my 29 gallon Biocube and my 14 gallon, for that matter, is made of glass. Were earlier models acrylic??

Try Aquabuys (aka Sammy). I think I saw a post on here or another site that they bought one from him. I did not see it listed on his site though.

Aquabuys is online but is also local and a club sponsor. You can pick up from his shop in Lawrenceville and avoid shipping prices and I think local shipping is pretty cheap.

steagfs;109190 wrote: How much are the solana's? Where can I get one?......preferably online.

I don't get the Solana. Why not just buy a Aquapod or Biocube and throw it on a nice piece of furniture? Is it the light that makes this worth the money?

That light is ugly as sin. I would use the sunpod instead.

The Solana is 10g larger and I think looks lightly nicer (more cube shaped) than the AP. I like the idea that it has a built in skimmer (although not sure of the performance) and ATO.

Seems like a trip to nano customs and the Norcross furniture outlets would likely net you a better setup.

Back