What pH for Caribsea A.R.M. fine media in CA reactor?

weaglereefer

Market
Reaction score
Finally got the last part of my CA reactor setup, my 20lb tank from paulduong. Thanks! Wondering what setpoint to use on the controller for the fine media, not the large pieces. I read that you don't need to set it as low as with larger media, but can't find any actual numbers.

Currently running the reactor at a few drops per second and the CO2 bubbles at one every 2 seconds.

Now to work on setting up that light I picked up from him!

I run mine at 6.7, cause vie read that the small media is more likely to “melt”.

I read 6.7-6.8 is recommended by Caribsea online, but also read that people had better luck at running the pH at 6.6. Guess I'll start at 6.7 and if it doesn't do it for me, lower it. Not like I'm gonna run out of CO2, lol.

BTW, one downside I already noticed, the Aquatic life controller is a single point, so the solenoid clicks on and off more than I'd like. I'll probably put the reactor on the RKL and let it swing from 6.7-6.8 on-off, and put the Aquaticlife controller on the kalk drip.

Nah, it'll work fine. The new setup is going to utilize a 24x7 gravity feed for the kalk reactor with a 120v solenoid inline tied to this controller. BTW, I think I finally have you beat on one piece of equipment...my CO2 bottle, lol. I figure a full tank will last me 2+ years...now to figure out how to fit it into the design in my new stand. Thinking of something pretty sweet on that front, and it'll be sure to surprise/wow as well as allow full access.

Yes, it calibrates fine to two points. However it only uses one set point to provide power to the outlet. Basically, above 6.6, the CO2 solenoid opens. At 6.59, it closes the solenoid. The pH drops a bit more as pressure in the lines releases, then it slowly rises back to 6.61 where the solenoid opens, and a bit of pressure builds up in the lines and lowers the pH to 6.59 where the solenoid closes again. Basically I'd just prefer a bit wider window than .03-.04 pH.

I run the large caribsea media in the main chamber and the small media in the secondary chamber. I dissolve both just fine at 6.8-7.1. Below 6.8 it melts too fast for me to use.

Heck, even AT 6.8-7.1, when I moved the tank I pulled out the large media and there was a LOT of "mud" in it where it had dissolved.

The one thing I can suggest is to start high and SLOWLY come down. It takes at least a day to settle, so this can take a week or two. It's far easier to come down on the pH and get the right level you want than it is to go back up when you see your Alk go up 3 points in a day.

Back