What Test Kits Do You Trust- Mag Alk

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I've been questioning my Salifert Mag kit so I ordered a Seachem kit and quickly found it to be the most difficult thing I've ever dealt with. It comes with Mag and Alk but I couldn't get an Alk reading. Seachem was nice enough to send new regeants, still nothing.

What do you guys swear by for Mag and Alk and why?

Salifert for Alk hands down.

Seachem for Mag although I have really no comparison here as I've always found consistency and never pursued other kits.

The Seachem kit seems so complicated DawgFace that it seemingly makes it more likely to mess up. When I tested tonight Seachem had my Mag at 1150 and Salifert had it at 1075.

At least I know its low?

I'll definitely check into Red Sea for Mag. Luckily Amazon is refunding the $32.00 for the Seachem kit.

rk4435;1009921 wrote: The Seachem kit seems so complicated DawgFace that it seemingly makes it more likely to mess up. When I tested tonight Seachem had my Mag at 1150 and Salifert had it at 1075.

At least I know its low?

Honestly I had that same opinion when I first started. Guess for whatever reason I assumed they were all like that. Not sure why, normally I check and recheck everything regardless of source. Likely its due to rarely checking mag. For better or worse I only check mag when I'm having issues keep alk and cal stable.

Is there an easier kit that yields consistency or atleast a reliable reference?

Hanna Check for Alk
Why? Nothing is easier and it's super accurate. Usually test every other day.

Salifert for Mg
Why? Seems easy. I've used it during a bryopsis treatment in display and twice in my frag setup to know I don't have to worry about testing for it anymore. LOL

tonymission;1009941 wrote: Hanna Check for Alk
Why? Nothing is easier and it's super accurate. Usually test every other day.

Salifert for Mg
Why? Seems easy. I've used it during a bryopsis treatment in display and twice in my frag setup to know I don't have to worry about testing for it anymore. LOL

I forgot to include checkers. I do have them and liked the Alk, Po4 and No3. However I've ran out of regents and have found it difficult to order them all together so I've almost forgot about them.

Only thing I don't like about salifert is the basic or lack of substance to the guides, instructions and specifically the contents. The latter being important if you miss place one of the scoopers. No where do they identify the scoopers actual measurement. Therefore loosing one or mixing with others potentially creates a problem.

Aside from that I do use with confidence No3 and po4. Already learned the aforementioned lesson.

I went to Hanna for PO4 several months ago and quickly learned that whatever kit I was using was way off.

I've got the Red Sea Mag kit on the way. The YouTube video made it look easy enough to use so hopefully I can get things straightened out. I need to dose Mag but I am uncomfortable doing so without an accurate kit.

Since you didn't ask about the need to dose mag I checked your threads and I'm not so sure the previous post remians true.

I think at this point your chasing numbers. Personally i'd do a series of large(r) water changes over doseing this issue out. 30% weekly until corrected. While sticking to the adding nothing until fixed.

Last and possibly a game changer, do you have mangroves?

And sorry for jumping back to what you likely have heard enough of :)

I was doing the large changes around Christmas Dawgface to no avail. I never got the Mag to level out on its own. I am doing my best to half way ignore Alk and Calc right now until I can get the Mag where it needs to be. Being a mixed reef, some inhabitants are happy right now and others are not.

Being fairly new to the hobby I went for a good year or so before I even realized the importance of Mag, Alk and Calcium.

I missed the Mangroves part Dawgface. Don't they consume Nitrates or something like that?

I've only ever used Red Sea for Mag. Also use Red Sea for Cal. Used Seachem for PO4 and it always read as 0 so I bought a Hanna and get between .01-.02 with it. Switched from Red Seal Alk to Hanna for Alk.

Does anyone know of a place to get the Hanna reagents locally? Like Jesse I see it's a pain to source them online and my usual fall back of Amazon with Prime is failing me on these things. Though I see the alk reagent is available via Prime today. Anyway, anyone sell these locally?

RedStang;1009979 wrote: I've only ever used Red Sea for Mag. Also use Red Sea for Cal. Used Seachem for PO4 and it always read as 0 so I bought a Hanna and get between .01-.02 with it. Switched from Red Seal Alk to Hanna for Alk.

Does anyone know of a place to get the Hanna reagents locally? Like Jesse I see it's a pain to source them online and my usual fall back of Amazon with Prime is failing me on these things. Though I see the alk reagent is available via Prime today. Anyway, anyone sell these locally?

Future group buy? It seems as though enough people use them.

Declanisadog;1009991 wrote: Future group buy? It seems as though enough people use them.

I usually buy 10 at a time when I do a BRS or MD order... Easy enough. Surprised no one local carries them.

I don't know of any local LFS that carries the checkers themselves. I'm sure if someone carried those, they would most likely stock the refills.

Hanna Checker for ALK and PO4.
Elos for Mg. It is very easy to use and the results are very accurate.

My Red Sea Mag kit arrived tonight. It had my Mag at 1360 while the Salifert I've been using had it at 1170.

Thank all of you for the feedback and advise.

rk4435;1009961 wrote: I missed the Mangroves part Dawgface. Don't they consume Nitrates or something like that?

Just saw your response, glad the mag is testing issue worked itself out. Hopefully the other parameters are solved with test kits that work for you.

Back to the mangroves, must have missed your question. In any event mangroves consume mainly No3 and Po4. However in reference to your post if a significant size or number of plant(s) to tank volume exist magnesium can be noticeably depleted from them as well.

Thanks, I didn't kmow that. I don't have any Mangroves at the moment but I've been tempted to buy them in the past with reef packs.

Back