What to decorate nano with?

tanner86

Market
Reaction score
Since I have my 140gal up and running I have taken out several corals from the nano and put them in the big tank. I am looking to decorate the nano like a saltwater garden. Frilly, flowing, and colorful soft corals. I can't really do zoos because the lighting is not mh and the zoos color fade. So, my question is what corals can I put in the tank that will maintain color and give a beautiful garden like atmosphere?

I currently have in the nano GSP, WSP, pink Xenia, Mushroom, yellow Polyps, and Finger Leather.

Any other ideas?

Green polyped toadstool, or long tentacle toadstool. You could also go with non-photosynthetic corals like sun corals and carnation corals for some real dramatic colors. It would also be nice since feeding those non-photo corals would be much easier in a nano.

I love the sun corals and have thought about those but wasn't sure you could keep them under actinics. Don't you need metal halide?

No no. Suncorals are completely non-photosynthetic. In fact they prefer shade. There are a whole lot of beautiful non-photo corals you could throw in there actually. It would make for a very interesting nano imho.

Interesting, I might give the sun corals a shot. What are some other non-photosynthetic corals that would work? I will be researching that tonight. Thanks

i suppose they would be easier to feed in a smaller enviornment. personally i dont bother with non photos cuz theyre just more trouble than theyre worth. however if you have the time and dedication to feed regularly they can be quite attractive. post pictures!

I know my blue mushrooms are actually MORE colorful under low light. While my CF light went out, I had an 18 watt screw in bulb lighting the tank was surpised to see all the color variations that came out in the blue mushrooms. My new MH fixture makes them much more drab....

Just my thoughts

very true on those blue shrooms man. blue mushrooms seem to be kind of like clams in that they have two different looks. It looks very differnt when your're looking through the glass and when you view it from the top.

Nishant3789;61447 wrote: i suppose they would be easier to feed in a smaller enviornment. personally i dont bother with non photos cuz theyre just more trouble than theyre worth. however if you have the time and dedication to feed regularly they can be quite attractive. post pictures!
i know and plus if u go on vacation u will have to teach the person taking care of ur tank how to clean his hand and place in the tank and not over feed.

Back