What to do with the RO/DI waste water

reeferkeifer

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas of what the waste water from my RO/DI unit can be used for?

Uhhhh, anything you'd use 'regular' water for?

I put mine in my reef tank. It comes out as only 1 TDS....that's fine for me. It cuts about 2.5 hours off my water creation time and saves about 60 gallons of water.

I'm just asking. ****!:confused2: No need to get testy. I thought that the waste water would be more harmful, especialy for tanks since it has more concentration of metals and chemicals. But, thanks for the tip. I will test the TDS in comparison to my tap water and see what's up.

Lot's of things actually! !! I have seen ecological houses that reuse and recycle every bit of H2o. Washers, toilets, house cleaning needs, etc, etc, in a normal house like the one I live I just used for washing clothes, but I quit because I flooded:eek:. But you actually can get rain barrels and make some savings :up:

True dat. I have a front load washer though. Can I even fill it that way? I am not on the up and up with the front and front.

I ran our RO waste line underground and I split it to the garden and our pool. I hate wasting water.

McPhock;987332 wrote: Uhhhh, anything you'd use 'regular' water for?

I put mine in my reef tank. It comes out as only 1 TDS....that's fine for me. It cuts about 2.5 hours off my water creation time and saves about 60 gallons of water.

Maybe I am missing something. He asked what to do with the waste water and you put it in your reef tank? Why bother with the RO/DI then?

JDavid;989126 wrote: Run it through another RO membrane and DI resin

I did see where Air, Water & Ice sells another RO membrane that fits on top of the RO membrane that comes with the Typhoon which cuts the waste down from 3:1 to 2:1. Is a DI filter needed as well? Where does that go?

ReeferKeifer;989130 wrote: I did see where Air, Water & Ice sells another RO membrane that fits on top of the RO membrane that comes with the Typhoon which cuts the waste down from 3:1 to 2:1. Is a DI filter needed as well? Where does that go?

Having a second membrane has really reduced my waste. If you add a second DI filter after your first DI filter it will allow you to use up all of the DI resin in your first canister before having to replace it.

I wouldn't put waste water into the tank... that kind of defeats the purpose of RO other than the sediment and carbon filters will retain some of the junk you're stripping out.

Laundry, flushing the toilet, watering the garden... those are the most popular uses of the waste water.

Jenn

What is in RO waste water?

What ever is in the supply water, it will probably more concentrated. Keep in mind that it has traveled through the pre-filters so sediment and carbon filtered.

Sewer Urchin;989351 wrote: What ever is in the supply water, it will probably more concentrated. Keep in mind that it has traveled through the pre-filters so sediment and carbon filtered.

So,

+ sediment/carbon filtered
- potentially concentrated ??

Would be nice to know what that ?? is.

So,

+ sediment/carbon filtered
- potentially concentrated ??

Would be nice to know what that ?? is.

I beive that the ??? will very from place to place depending on where you water comes from. I'm on a well so it will be very different then a municipal water supply. For me the ??? doesn't seem to affect the cherry shrimp or the freshwater planted tank (It's more of a nightlight for the little one) that I use to do water changes. Most of it goes to water some planters that I have outside.

Back on track
Is a DI filter needed as well? Where does that go?

Keith- I really recommend a De Ionization cartridge on the system I believe that it will absorb the last little bit of impurities that are left after the RO membrane. Mine goes ...
Water supply>Prefiter>Carbon> RO> DI > Phosphate absorption Media
I don't use a Chlorine/Choramine before the RO because I'm a well.

Sewer Urchin;989371 wrote: For me the ??? doesn't seem to affect the cherry shrimp or the freshwater planted tank (It's more of a nightlight for the little one) that I use to do water changes. Most of it goes to water some planters that I have outside.

I use tap water for my freshwater tanks.... cook with it... drink it... etc.

That's why I've always felt "waste" water is a bit of a misnomer. It seems, at least to me, to suggest that the water is completely unusable.

McPhock;989374 wrote: I use tap water for my freshwater tanks.... cook with it... drink it... etc.

That's why I've always felt "waste" water is a bit of a misnomer. It seems, at least to me, to suggest that the water is completely unusable.

Don't seem to be having any issues with your reef tank either, but we have really low tds water in Gwinnett county.

Back