What to do

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Hello everyone so I’m not the best at keeping coral as I continue to have issues keeping them alive and I am down to one coral (the Fox Coral) that seems to be holding on. I took this frogspawn out for a dip as it hasn’t opened in a while and here is how it is looking at the moment 158A066B-F4B0-4EA0-8A6F-67666AE03A7A.jpeg

Please tell us what all your water parameters are, what equipment you have etc - more info = higher likely-hood of something productive being offered up

So my Alk 8.2,cal.440, PH 7.9,!Ammonia 0, nitrate 0-5, temp 77 phosphate 0.05, salinity 1.026.I am running a Nyos 160 skimmer, Nyos 2.0 Torq with 1 liter of carbon,3 radion xr15 blues on AB+ at 50% and a M2 Vectra return pump, no socks or filter roller and I have yet to check Mag.

and you've been around for a while - that's a pretty established tank - right?

No parameters look out of whack.

My next steps (cause I don't see anything that should cause you trouble) would be to do a test for copper (in case its leaching from something) and get and ICP test done ASAP.

What kind of corals have you had die? That frogspawn is obviously VERY upset - so we know euphyllia is struggling, what has happened to any zoas, LPS or SPS if you have had any? Quick die off, seem fine for a while then die quickly, slowly whither away?

I'd also test for stray voltage in the tank.

You should also know what your magnesium is. Although it won’t typically change much, it is important to have it at the right level.

Also, tell us about your tank. Size, salt used, how often & amount of changes. How old it is. Types & numbers of fish kept, etc. just to give us an idea of the system.

What is your total system water volume? You said 1 liter of carbon? That's quite a lot with the usual amount being around 1Tbsp per 10 gallons. Are you forcing water through it using a reactor? If so, it might be stripping the water. We run 12Tbsp for our 120g tank but in a fine mesh bag in the sump. Water falls through it as it goes over a weir vs. being pushed through it.

Also, when was your last water change and what percentage of the total system volume was it? Large change plus parameters being off in the mix can also shock things and make them unhappy.

and you've been around for a while - that's a pretty established tank - right?

No parameters look out of whack.

My next steps (cause I don't see anything that should cause you trouble) would be to do a test for copper (in case its leaching from something) and get and ICP test done ASAP.

What kind of corals have you had die? That frogspawn is obviously VERY upset - so we know euphyllia is struggling, what has happened to any zoas, LPS or SPS if you have had any? Quick die off, seem fine for a while then die quickly, slowly whither away?

I'd also test for stray voltage in the tank.
So I’ve had symphillya, candy canes, Goniopora, trachy’s, chalice and scolymia die and this tank has been up for 7 + months

What is your total system water volume? You said 1 liter of carbon? That's quite a lot with the usual amount being around 1Tbsp per 10 gallons. Are you forcing water through it using a reactor? If so, it might be stripping the water. We run 12Tbsp for our 120g tank but in a fine mesh bag in the sump. Water falls through it as it goes over a weir vs. being pushed through it.

Also, when was your last water change and what percentage of the total system volume was it? Large change plus parameters being off in the mix can also shock things and make them unhappy.
My total would be 170g and the Torq has a towering affect where the water trickles down the sides of the unit

My total would be 170g and the Torq has a towering affect where the water trickles down the sides of the unit
If we go by the starting point of 1Tbsp of carbon per 10 gallons of water: 17Tbsp would be 1/4 liter approximately. It sounds like you are running 4x the recommended amount. There are some differences in carbon size, capacity etc. but even so I would double check the amount recommended for the brand you are using.

If we go by the starting point of 1Tbsp of carbon per 10 gallons of water: 17Tbsp would be 1/4 liter approximately. It sounds like you are running 4x the recommended amount. There are some differences in carbon size, capacity etc. but even so I would double check the amount recommended for the brand you are using.
Just looked and it’s the premier aquatic’s carbon which does not come with recommendations

Running too much carbon will help keep the water looking crystal clear but can strip it of stuff the corals need. Can you turn off the carbon reactor temporarily and maybe do a 20% water change? Your salt mix should replenish trace elements so doing a water change may help. Just be sure to mix the salt to match your current tanks parameters (temperature, salinity corrected for temperature, and double check alkalinity of the mixed water vs. the tank). Not sure when the last water change was or how big. Are you dosing any trace elements? What salt mix are you using?

I would pull the carbon completely. The UV should be enough to keep your water clear. Don't add anything for a couple weeks and do 2 15-20% water changes in that time. After the two weeks list your parameters, big 3 and no3 & PO4. If all is still good try adding some simple corals back. I like to use a birdsnest as the canary coral. It will tell you pretty quick if something is off. Another good one is a stylo, they're pretty hardy.

List your lighting info and what salt your using.

Also as an FYI, using too much carbon will lead to HLLE in certain tangs like regals.

Running too much carbon will help keep the water looking crystal clear but can strip it of stuff the corals need. Can you turn off the carbon reactor temporarily and maybe do a 20% water change? Your salt mix should replenish trace elements so doing a water change may help. Just be sure to mix the salt to match your current tanks parameters (temperature, salinity corrected for temperature, and double check alkalinity of the mixed water vs. the tank). Not sure when the last water change was or how big. Are you dosing any trace elements? What salt mix are you using?
My last water change was a week ago and it was 30 g I’m dosing anything just doing weekly water changes

Back