What to do

Does your RODI unit have an in-line TDS meter? To show before, between, and after filtering?

No I have the basic aquatic life RO system View attachment 32771

These are $29 if you are interested in adding one. They make triples but even with the dual one linked above you could measure TDS going into your RO unit and leaving it to see how it's performing and when it needs to be changed out.

stray voltage test and can you send off for an ICP test? Marine Depot can have one to you in a day as long as it's in stock in the Atlanta warehouse. I have a couple sitting around I'd sell for my cost as well but I'm a long drive from you.

stray voltage test and can you send off for an ICP test? Marine Depot can have one to you in a day as long as it's in stock in the Atlanta warehouse. I have a couple sitting around I'd sell for my cost as well but I'm a long drive from you.
How does one go about doing a stray voltage test?

Make sure your equipment is all on, stick your hand or a multi meter in the water, if you’re getting zapped you have a stray voltage

then you narrow the list of equipment down to see which one is actually leaking
With your hand, if the voltage is low or you're not actually grounded you're probably not going to feel anything. If you are somehow grounded, and the voltage is high enough there's a very real chance of being electrocuted. A voltage meter is the best way to test this.

With your hand, if the voltage is low or you're not actually grounded you're probably not going to feel anything. If you are somehow grounded, and the voltage is high enough there's a very real chance of being electrocuted. A voltage meter is the best way to test this.
This is true

I was distracted while writing. Yes use multimeter.

This is true

I was distracted while writing. Yes use multimeter.
The chances of getting a lethal shock, let alone a good err bad zap @ZapataInc ;), is very, very slim. But stranger things have happened and I'd hate have someone seeing that get bad shock from sticking their hard in a tank or sump.

The chances of getting a lethal shock, let alone a good zap @ZapataInc ;), is very, very slim. But stranger things have happened and I'd hate have someone seeing that get bad shock from sticking their hard in a tank or sump.

i have been zapped on two separate occasions

once from the heater in the water mixing station and once from a mj1200 in my tank.

I've been zapped as well. I figured out that the electrical cord to the media reactor had a small cut in it which was causing the stray voltage.
But I've read stray voltage doesn't effect the tank inhabitants because they aren't grounded...it would only effect you when you stick your hand in the hand.

I got it from a Jebao return pump on my mixing station.

Then I also realized that voltage was altering my pinpoint salinity meter reading

Guess I've just been lucky. The only time I get Zapped is when I'm wiring outlets or light switches. I usually don't turn the breaker off, but I'm not grounded or standing in saltwater when doing that ;)

Back