What tool to Buy?

ha 95 you say....dang I'm a lil behind on things. Interesting factoid to know tho.

Actually, B&W launched the DeWalt brand as their professional tools line in 1992. They'd bought the name back in 1960. So, DeWalt has always been part of B&W. It's hard to avoid B&W anymore...

"2004 - Black & Decker ® announce the purchase of the Tools Group from Pentair, Inc. (NYSE: PNR) for approximately $775 million in cash. The Tools Group, which includes the Porter-Cable, Delta, DeVilbiss Air Power, Oldham Saw, and FLEX businesses, had sales of $1.08 billion and operating profit of $82 million in 2003. "

<span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">But we're wandering a bit far from the original thread topic....</span></span>

Like you said way of topic but you win. I was wrong :(

1960 - Alonzo G. Decker, Jr., son of the co-founder and a Black & Decker employee since 1930, succeeded Robert D. Black as president. Mr. Black continued as chairman of the board and chief executive officer. Black & Decker acquired DeWalt, Inc. of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, a manufacturer of radial arm saws and other stationary woodworking equipment in the U.S. and Canada.

I always have table saw envy. I love a good bandsaw as well, but a jig usually does just as good. When building speaker boxes back in the day, a table say could pretty much do everything save for cutting the speaker holes and we used a guided router for that but a jig worked as well.

If you have a circular saw, I would say a compound miter saw should be next...
The circular saw can perform quality rip cuts with a good straight edge (what you mainly use a table saw for). If you don't then definatly get a good table saw. The rigid saw at Home Depot is quite nice, just don't skimp on a table saw as you'll quickly regret it...

Definatly a table saw. Preferably one with a 20"+ fence. Most of the stands we build are 15 -21" deep.
Also, and I promise once you use it once will find yourself using it alot is a palm router or some people call it a laminate trimmer. I have a variable speed dewalt that I use to build my doors, mortise hinges, counter top edges and small mouldings. Lightweight, you can use it one handed and easy to change bits.

--EClass

How about that "new" table saw that had the drop down blade that we were talking about two weeks ago. If you are going to get one, go top notch! ;)

Lowe's sells a nice Delta. Delta has a service center here, so i'd go with that.

The table saw is THE essential powertool for any carpentry shop. It is the foundation of any carpenter's powertool collection.

The delta is a hybrid, i believe, and quite nice.

Get a nice 80 tooth blade too. Also available at lowes.

Bleedingthought;139956 wrote: We've rarely had to use a table saw compared to how often we use the compound miter, the jig, and the circular.

For making cabinets?

Seedless Reefer;139598 wrote: The router would be a waste of money UNLESS you are a pro with a router.

I disagree. I'm far from a pro, but a router is one of the best tools I own when it comes to finish work. There's simply no other way to get a good flush cut. And if you work with acrylic, it's the #1 tool.

Having said that, I'd also say go with the table saw next.

You all will probably laugh, but I really like my shopsmith. Sure, I could probably get better equipment but I don't really have a large shop space.

>

And if you work with acrylic, it's the #1 tool.

Thats why I want the router.

I ordered a table saw from sears(my job gives us sears cards for safety bonuses, strange I know). Its a cheap o craftsman but at the moment I'm a broke college student. I plan on picking it up tomorrow. Do you guys think this thing will hold me over, or should I wait on the table saw and get something else.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921805000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Table+Saws">http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921805000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Table+Saws</a>

I hate buying cheap, because I know I'll want a better one as soon as I can afford it.

I'm in the same boat. My thinking is one should make good friends first so you can borrow their tools.

I have a circular saw but I can never seem make a nice long straight cut so I'm looking for a table saw. If someone has suggestions on making a straight cuts I welcome the input.

calireefer;140021 wrote: I ordered a table saw from sears(my job gives us sears cards for safety bonuses, strange I know). Its a cheap o craftsman but at the moment I'm a broke college student. I plan on picking it up tomorrow. Do you guys think this thing will hold me over, or should I wait on the table saw and get something else.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921805000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Table+Saws">http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921805000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Table+Saws</a>

I hate buying cheap, because I know I'll want a better one as soon as I can afford it.[/QUOTE]

That saw will be fine. I haven't seen a review of that particular saw, but the craftsman contractors saws have had some good press recently. 15 Amps will give you the power you need--I'd get a good quality thin-kerf blade to get the most out of the motor. (I've got a 15 amp contractors saw).

At this stage as a 'broke college student' your life is probably a bit mobile for the next couple of years and storage space may be an issue. The biggest 'problem' with portable saws such as this is also their biggest asset. They're lighter in weight than a typical contractor's saw--makes 'em easier to move and store, but a bit less secure when you're cutting big stuff, like a 4x8 sheet of plywood. (Just rough cut the sheet with your circular saw and do the final cuts on the TS.) Unless you've got a dedicated workshop space, a contractors or cabinet saw takes up a lot of room...even if you put it on casters.

You can always upgrade the rip fence and build a cabinet around the saw at a later date. This saw will last you longer than you think it will unless you end up spending a lot of time in the workshop!

calireefer;140022 wrote: How do quote a part of someones reply?

Just like that. :)

Just kidding. Either hit the "Quote" button or copy what you need to quote and add [ quote ] and [ /quote ] around it (without the spaces).

Geehh;140057 wrote: That saw will be fine. I haven't seen a review of that particular saw, but the craftsman contractors saws have had some good press recently. 15 Amps will give you the power you need--I'd get a good quality thin-kerf blade to get the most out of the motor. (I've got a 15 amp contractors saw).

At this stage as a 'broke college student' your life is probably a bit mobile for the next couple of years and storage space may be an issue. The biggest 'problem' with portable saws such as this is also their biggest asset. They're lighter in weight than a typical contractor's saw--makes 'em easier to move and store, but a bit less secure when you're cutting big stuff, like a 4x8 sheet of plywood. (Just rough cut the sheet with your circular saw and do the final cuts on the TS.) Unless you've got a dedicated workshop space, a contractors or cabinet saw takes up a lot of room...even if you put it on casters.

You can always upgrade the rip fence and build a cabinet around the saw at a later date. This saw will last you longer than you think it will unless you end up spending a lot of time in the workshop!

Thanks Geehh Thats real helpful. I took wood working back in high school but that was like ten years ago. I'm trying to relearn all this woodworking stuff. When I upgrade the rip fence is that something I buy or do I need to make it.

Thanks Mojo. Now how do you do multiple quotes?

-Merlin

No the best tool i think would be a radial arm saw. Guy i know has one it is amazing. unless you want portability or you don't have a permanent workshop.

Back