What's next?

tshives26

Market
Reaction score
Tank is coming along great! I have all my RO/DI water, LS, and LR all setup. The water finally cleared up and I'm looking for advice on how to further ready the tank.

I'm looking for advice on levels of the water. Things like proper levels for salt, temperature, nitrates, etc. I know there are a handful of things that need to be on point before it's fish and reef ready. What do I need to do and look out for?

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43292">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43292</a>

[IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29625">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29625</a>

Camellia;949641 wrote: Nice Ben :)

I find if I have to dig a little for the answers I'm looking for I not only better remember what i have found, I usually learn a lot more than i set out to.

Declanisadog;949644 wrote: I find if I have to dig a little for the answers I'm looking for I not only better remember what i have found, I usually learn a lot more than i set out to.

Research is a beautiful thing

Forum mentality baffles me. Yes I could search the forums, even could search Google for more answers. I wasn't asking because I am lazy, I was asking because I like a more personal touch to finding my information. I like to reply with specific questions pertaining to my answers. But obviously that is not possible here so I will just do some searching then. Thanks for all your help

tshives26;949655 wrote: Forum mentality baffles me. Yes I could search the forums, even could search Google for more answers. I wasn't asking because I am lazy, I was asking because I like a more personal touch to finding my information. I like to reply with specific questions pertaining to my answers. But obviously that is not possible here so I will just do some searching then. Thanks for all your help

That's a great link Ben (declanisadog) provided to get you started.

Because of the nature of the questions you asked, it's clear that there's probably a few more things you need to brush up on before you even consider adding livestock to your aquarium.

If you don't know what an acceptable specific gravity/salinity level is, you need to do some reading.

If you ask "what's better, 1.024 or 1.026?" then we are likely to talk about that with you!

tshives26;949591 wrote: Tank is coming along great! I have all my RO/DI water, LS, and LR all setup. The water finally cleared up and I'm looking for advice on how to further ready the tank.

I'm looking for advice on levels of the water. Things like proper levels for salt, temperature, nitrates, etc. I know there are a handful of things that need to be on point before it's fish and reef ready. What do I need to do and look out for?

tshives26;949655 wrote: Forum mentality baffles me. Yes I could search the forums, even could search Google for more answers. I wasn't asking because I am lazy, I was asking because I like a more personal touch to finding my information. I like to reply with specific questions pertaining to my answers. But obviously that is not possible here so I will just do some searching then. Thanks for all your help

Tom,
The problem is that I can get you recommendations from respected reefers that will tell you to keep your corals at 82-84 degrees. I can also get you recommendations from respected reefers that will advise you to keep your corals at 76-79 degrees. Along with any other advice regarding extreme high or low recommendations specific gravity, KH, calcium, magnesium and other levels ad infinitum.

I don't believe anyone is telling you to research because they don't want to or aren't willing to give you the answers. There is so much available and contradictory info and advice regarding how to keep reef tanks that you have to have a good BS filter on when you do research. And by researching you get to see the vast array of advice, which, unfortunately in our hobby, is more anecdotal than anything else.

Any advice I can give you is that you are a long way along when you realize there are not a lot of absolutes in reefing, and many ways to the same goal. Once I got a bit of experience under my belt, I thought there were only certain ways of doing things regarding keeping SPS, and there aren't. There are many ways of doing the same thing.

Here is what I would recommend to you or anyone else: read the series of Reef Chemistry articles by Randy Holmes Farley. His articles are the the de facto reference for reef chemistry knowledge for anyone in the hobby for the most part. This is a link to the Reef Central Archives, where Randy's articles are the basis for many Reefers understanding of how their tank works on a biochemical basis. You will find recommendations for almost any topic relating to reef chemistry. I have read most, if not all of these. They are the basis for any chemistry knowledge I have in this hobby, and where I got the advice regarding what parameter to keep at what level, etc.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605">http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605</a>

And if you don't want to reference these, my best advice is to find one or two reefers you know and trust that have nice reef tanks, like what you would want to have, and duplicate their efforts.

I did this as well. No need to reinvent the wheel. I duplicated existing, successful methods when I first started, in addition to reading Randy's articles.

Understandable. Thank you for the information. I understand that I am still far from livestock. The reason I created this thread was because, like you said, there are many different theories on how to actually keep your reef. I was just trying to gather some form of general consensus from ARC members on their preferences.

I'll be sure to do plenty of reading over this next month trying to figure out the proper levels everything should be in the tank.

tshives26;949667 wrote: Understandable. Thank you for the information. I understand that I am still far from livestock. The reason I created this thread was because, like you said, there are many different theories on how to actually keep your reef. I was just trying to gather some form of general consensus from ARC members on their preferences.

I'll be sure to do plenty of reading over this next month trying to figure out the proper levels everything should be in the tank.

Absolutely nothing wrong with asking opinions of fellow ARCers.

One final thing, is to look at the person giving the advice. If someone is telling you the ideal way to deal with nuisance algae, and all they have is a cyano, bryopsis, hair algae covered mess in their living room, their advice may be suspect. Extreme example, of course, but you get the idea!:D

Honestly the reason I always post links in these threads is because i want to help, and i know the words of others, Acroholic for one, carry much more weight than mine. I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were lazy for asking a question, and if that's how you took, i do appologize. I was just trying to provide the info that i thought was worth looking into, much of which is what i turned to when i was first starting out.

Acroholic;949674 wrote: Absolutely nothing wrong with asking opinions of fellow ARCers.

One final thing, is to look at the person giving the advice. If someone is telling you the ideal way to deal with nuisance algae, and all they have is a cyano, bryopsis, hair algae covered mess in their living room, their advice may be suspect. Extreme example, of course, but you get the idea!:D

exactly

And if you're looking for a list of params, I'll give you mine:

Temp-78-80
SG-1.025
Nitrates-&gt;5
Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0
cal-440
Alk-8ish
Mag-1250

Two things in this thread (OP's original question and the comment about how often people give bad advice) made me think of a question that seems really basic, but left me confused: If you put LR and LS in fresh water, will it remain live -- at least from the respect of a reef environment -- or will all that made it "live" be killed off, leaving you with dead sand and rock?

Declanisadog;949678 wrote: And if you're looking for a list of params, I'll give you mine:

Temp-78-80
SG-1.025
Nitrates-&gt;5
Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0
cal-440
Alk-8ish
Mag-1250

This is exactly what i was looking for! Thank you! Now I will be interested to see what other members specs are

Declanisadog;949678 wrote: And if you're looking for a list of params, I'll give you mine:

Temp-78-80
SG-1.025
Nitrates-&gt;5
Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0
cal-440
Alk-8ish
Mag-1250

I meant&lt;5 for nitrates BTW

ShanePike;949682 wrote: Two things in this thread (OP's original question and the comment about how often people give bad advice) made me think of a question that seems really basic, but left me confused: If you put LR and LS in fresh water, will it remain live -- at least from the respect of a reef environment -- or will all that made it "live" be killed off, leaving you with dead sand and rock?

Marine and freshwater nitrifying bacteria are two different things.... either will be killed if placed in the opposite environment.

In my 465:

Temp 76-80
SG-1.025
KH 8.90-9.0
calcium 380-450
Magnesium 1280-1350
Nitrates .05 or less
PO4 playing with that level right now, but probably best to keep it at &lt;.05 ppm
Ammonia and nitrites should always be 0 in a cycled tank

Declanisadog;949675 wrote: Honestly the reason I always post links in these threads is because i want to help, and i know the words of others, Acroholic for one, carry much more weight than mine. I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were lazy for asking a question, and if that's how you took, i do appologize. I was just trying to provide the info that i thought was worth looking into, much of which is what i turned to when i was first starting out.

When I first asked a question that may have been simple to others but not for someone new delcanosadog posted a link and I took it the wrong way at first then realized that I did learn it better for myself than someone telling me.. so long story short.. thank you!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ShanePike;949682 wrote: Two things in this thread (OP's original question and the comment about how often people give bad advice) made me think of a question that seems really basic, but left me confused: If you put LR and LS in fresh water, will it remain live -- at least from the respect of a reef environment -- or will all that made it "live" be killed off, leaving you with dead sand and rock?

Short answer, dead.

Long depends on how long it was left in less than poor conditions for it to stay alive.

Back