What's next?

The only thing on LR I have heard of surviving a bleach or peroxide type dip is bryopsis, as it is supposed to have some long roots, and if they are in deep enough in the rock they might live through a FW dip as well to be a PIA another day. This is just what I have read.

Hey Tom,

When I read your post then the post with the links, I went to the links and read them. Then I thought well geez....I've got nothing to add to that wonderful wealth of information. I wish I had read it years ago!
I've cycled 4 tanks, each one different than the others. Which way is best, who knows if it matters but the end result is what we are after.... As the "old timers" suggested, there are so many ways/opinions... But if you understand the basics, its a good start.

IMO your next step would be to go buy a clean up crew. At least its something to watch while waiting, lol

Tank prams

Temp 78-79
SG 1.025
Mg 1300
Calc 440
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates <.05
Take a look at this, it explains a lot on prams.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-2005/rhf">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-2005/rhf</a>

Now, the live rock/sand question. IMO you will end up with some live and beneficial bacteria if its been kept at proper temperature, moist, etc. & also think there will be some die off because of the change of environment...
I started with live rock covered in purple coralline algae and it never died or changed color. I had a very small cycle compared to the second tank cycle.

tshives26;949591 wrote: Tank is coming along great! I have all my RO/DI water, LS, and LR all setup. The water finally cleared up and I'm looking for advice on how to further ready the tank.

I'm looking for advice on levels of the water. Things like proper levels for salt, temperature, nitrates, etc. I know there are a handful of things that need to be on point before it's fish and reef ready. What do I need to do and look out for?

as you get these things in check make sure you change them in increments if you have any sort of live stock in there.

No live stock yet. I would like to get two clowns next week to add some bio load to the tank but I gotta make sure my levels are right before that. All I have is a refractometor (sp?). I'm not sure what types of testing kits I would need to check everything. Any recommendations?

Don't buy the API kits, they are inaccurate. I like seachem and Red Sea test kits

You will need (for fish):
ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

For coral:
Magnesium
Alkalinity
Calcium
Phosphate

ShanePike;949682 wrote: Two things in this thread (OP's original question and the comment about how often people give bad advice) made me think of a question that seems really basic, but left me confused: If you put LR and LS in fresh water, will it remain live -- at least from the respect of a reef environment -- or will all that made it "live" be killed off, leaving you with dead sand and rock?

I didn't notice the "fresh water" did you mean fresh salt water?

Back