What's up with my Duncan

putemup

Market
Reaction score
About a month ago a red algae began growing between the heads of my Duncan. Now it looks as if its slowly killing it. I've had this Duncan for about 6 months in the same spot with nothing but positive results until this. All of my remaining corals are fine.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1018775=59921-image.jpg
>
1018775=59921-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

The best way to describe the issue is that it looks like cynao bacteria is growing in between the Duncan's heads.

What should I dip it in? Also will it affect it if its already mounted on the rock?

If it's a large rock you might want to pull him off and dip it.
It can't hurt.
I use a maxi jet with a hose attached to it to blow off any unwanted suff I can get too.

I do have some Coral RX in the cabinet. I'll give it a try tomorrow. This entire situation absolutely amazes me. Nothing has changed in the tank and I'm hit with this cynayo type bacteria that's only on one coral and its totally killing it. Man, I'm pissed!

Try blowing it off with a turkey baster. Can you put the coral in more flow? Or direct more flow to it? Cyano usually only settles in dead spots.

I can adjust my power heads to blow more directly on it. I didn't know how much flow the Duncan could take.

Any suggestions for what looks like the green hair alagae spreading on it as well. It all started with one little piece now its spreading on it an killing the Coral?

Should be able to take moderate flow. I'd remove the green algae too.

Have you tested your parameters lately? Cyano and hair algae are telling you something.

We're heading into 'cyano season' - in my anecdotal observation, spring is the WORST time of year for cyano.

Jenn

JennM;1019535 wrote: Should be able to take moderate flow. I'd remove the green algae too.

Have you tested your parameters lately? Cyano and hair algae are telling you something.

We're heading into 'cyano season' - in my anecdotal observation, spring is the WORST time of year for cyano.

Jenn

Jenn I was just curious if it's the sporadic temperature changes that causes spring cyno breakouts?

It could be. Could be a lot of things. My observation is not scientific, I just remember that every spring I had more people complaining about cyano problems, come into the shop looking for advice.

I don't know why - but fasten your seat belt, because it's coming :)

Back