What's up with this hammer?

mumra

Supporting
Reaction score
So basically since moving to the new tank I have one hammer that is pissed and another thst is super happy. When open the mad one is a little smaller than a baseball while the other while smaller is much happier and looking like it is growing well. I've had them in similar locations but since retracting I moved it down to less flow because it was looking even more stressed and even though it doesn't look good it is slightly better where it is now.

While it didn't look happy it wasn't until I gave it some reef roids that it retracted and hasn't opened back up since. Parasite maybe? Do a dip? I have some Coral rx and Revive.

My parameters and pics below.
Magnesium 1050
Calcium 415
Alkalinity 12.8
pH 7.4
Nitrate 20

1000002339.jpg

1000002340.jpg

I hate target feeding reef roids. I’ve had torches develop brown jelly as a result of it. Your alk is a bit high and mag is low. I would do a kfc dip on this and not target feed reef roids anymore.

I hate target feeding reef roids. I’ve had torches develop brown jelly as a result of it. Your alk is a bit high and mag is low. I would do a kfc dip on this and not target feed reef roids anymore.
Yeah, 100% never target feeding it if it survives. No idea why my Alkalinity is so high. I don't even buffer my water anymore. That's helped a little.

P.S. where do I even get antibiotics for this?

Yeah, 100% never target feeding it if it survives. No idea why my Alkalinity is so high. I don't even buffer my water anymore. That's helped a little.

P.S. where do I even get antibiotics for this?

I know the owner of reefgoods and he’s a really good dude. He has them in stock.

Last edited:
Alk going up but you aren't dosing anything that would raise alk... sounds to me like your PH swings too low and is melting your rock/coral/sand. Your parameters above say 7.4, I'm assuming you didn't test in the morning before the tank lights came on, so I wouldn't be surprised if your ph is dropping down to a flat 7 or even lower, open a window in the evenings now since its cooling down at night, or run an air line from your skimmer to outside.

Alk going up but you aren't dosing anything that would raise alk... sounds to me like your PH swings too low and is melting your rock/coral/sand. Your parameters above say 7.4, I'm assuming you didn't test in the morning before the tank lights came on, so I wouldn't be surprised if your ph is dropping down to a flat 7 or even lower, open a window in the evenings now since its cooling down at night, or run an air line from your skimmer to outside.
I'll test tomorrow am before the lights come on.

Just tested pH 7.8. I also just opened the door down there to get some fresh air. I normally Crack a window or have the door open but it's just been to hot.

It's not gonna do anything to them. But they don't eat coral food

Hammer and torches die. It don't make any sense. I head will die on colony the rest fine. I just lost a couple hammers and a torch. But it happens

Back