Where Do You Place Your Heater?

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
And Why?

I've had mine in the display, but I don't like the clutter. I put it in the overflow, but the display doesn't seem warm enough. In the 'fuge, I'm afraid the smaller volume of water would raise temp in there too much and be detrimental to 'fuge life. Return and/or sump don't seem to have enough water volume to support a heater.

What do you do?

I have mine in the skimmer section. I used to have them in the overflows, and that seemed to work ok.

I run 2 400W in my sump. In the cold winter months I place a 300W in one of my fuges to help take the load off the other 400Wers'.

Sump...makes the tanks look cleaner and uncluttered.

Except when the temp drops below 32, then I run a heater in my wall tank because it backs up to my garage and it's not heated very well.

right now mine is in the display, when I get the forty going I'll have one in the return of the sump/fuge and one in the overflow. the basement where I am at gets real cold during the winter months and sometimes cold during the others.

Usually in my sump, but with the colder weather I've dropped one in the display to try to keep the temp stable as the tank is backed up to an exterior wall.

That and we're imports from the north and don't really run the heat much LOL.

my thoughts exactly. i think i remember you mentioning that at one time and it has stuck with me

I keep one in the sump and one in the display. If the sump return pump fails I don't want the temp to drop in the display tank.

Bob

have mine in return/pump area, has plenty of flow and seems to be the area that allows me to keep a more constant temp in my tank

mfliin;277226 wrote: Sump...makes the tanks look cleaner and uncluttered.

Except when the temp drops below 32, then I run a heater in my wall tank because it backs up to my garage and it's not heated very well.

Dang sounds like you got some nice tanks i need to come by one day and see what ya got im in acworth too

Mine is in the sump. if the flow is good, then the volume is fine as long as the heaters are covered...

Jason

Kirru;277248 wrote: my thoughts exactly. i think i remember you mentioning that at one time and it has stuck with me

Yup mee too:thumbs:

I have 1 in the over flow, one in my refugium and one in the sump. All 3 are controlled by an Aquacontroller. The Aquacontroller keeps the temp between 75 and 80 adjusted on a seasonal basis. I also have the thermostats on each set at around 80 so they will not fry the tank if they get left on.

Even though your sump does not have a lot of water volume, the flow through the area is more than enough to make it a perfect place for a heater.

Also, the overflow is personally my least favorite spot since the heater can end up accidentally dry during pump outages or during water changes, etc.

Mine is in one of the baffle areas of the sump. All water to the return passes thru there. If sump placement is not sufficient, you probably don't have enough flow.

mine is in the sump.. the thermostat being set at 80 will not keep a heater from frying your tank if it gets stuck on... heaters are either on or off.. not temperature specific.. they turn on until the water reads what the heater is set to, and then it turns off until the temperature drops

Carty;277504 wrote: the thermostat being set at 80 will not keep a heater from frying your tank if it gets stuck on...
It will in my case. As I said, my Aquacontroller controls the temp in my tank, the heater thermostats do not. The t-stats set to 80 will protect me if the Aquacontroller modules lock in the on position, then the t-stats on the heaters would prevent temps over 80.

Back