Where Do You Place Your Heater?

I agree that you should just put in the sump. Go ahead and do a lil test and check the temp in the sump vs the display. I bet you the temperature is the same or pretty close to it. That is unless you have reallly low flow through the sump.

One other thing is that everyone should try and have a primary temp control device and use the heater thermostats as backups. Those heater thermostats are known to have issues and reliance on them alone has caused many a tank crash. I don't trust anything except my ranco to do primary temperature control anymore... as I've had issues with both rk and ac units controlling temperature. :sad:

Got mine off RC for cheap but they're not cheap when brand new. No idea how old mine is but I've used it for 3 years now and its a tank. I have the dual version so it controls the heaters and the fans for cooling. If you're just using it for a heater though then just get the single version.

a>

I have mine in the display, but I think I'm going to move it to the overflow.

Mine's in my display only because I have no overflows or sump, refugium, etc.

For anyone that is space challenged regarding heater placement, here is a nice option. I have used these in-line hydor heaters for several years on my FW tanks and they work quite well and are very reliable. They hook inline and heat as water passes thru them. Good for reefs under 75 gallons, I would guess.

prod_display.cfm

In the display, but when I get a sump set up I'll move my large heater there, and put a small one out of the way in the display as a fail-safe, since I keep the house at about 67 in the winter months. I don't imagine it would take long to get chilly in there if a heater failed.

Back