Which 400 watt MH bulb???

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
Which one do you guys like the best?? I'm probably gonna go with a 14K, but not sure whichbrand--LMK what ya'll think-thanks

Im also interested to know as well, which bulb and spectrum has the highest par for a 400w MH ?

SE Ushio/BLV 14K has the highest par for a 14k, looks good too. From what I have seen (lloking at spectrum and par), it is the perfect bulb if you can supplement blue; no actinic, blue! The bulb has tons of actinic.

i after recently reading up on this brought some reeflux 10k bulbs 2 weeks ago,, currently breaking them in, but they look great, still white with a hint of blue.. the 12 k have even more blue... i like them as of now.. i used to run 10k se ushio's but i like these better..

I've heard great things about the reeflux 12K. I am torn between trying that bulb or adding more blue to the ushio.

ericmcj31;133892 wrote: Which one do you guys like the best?? I'm probably gonna go with a 14K, but not sure whichbrand--LMK what ya'll think-thanks

Who cares what anyone else likes the best? Hopefully, you're building the tank for you, not for everyone else....

Also- you have to define "best" - is that best par? best look? best efficiency? best cost? best availability? best long term stability? And then quantify what falls under "best" - the highest PAR may not be ideal if the spectrum is off...

mojo;134074 wrote: Who cares what anyone else likes the best? Hopefully, you're building the tank for you, not for everyone else....

Also- you have to define "best" - is that best par? best look? best efficiency? best cost? best availability? best long term stability? And then quantify what falls under "best" - the highest PAR may not be ideal if the spectrum is off...

You know, I think that is probably the best answer; I should've come up with that!

I Run A 20k Radium, These Are Great Bulbs I Don't Think You Would Be Dissapointed, It Also Has A Nice Blue Color. Not To Mention Sps Corals Grow Pretty Fast.

I run 400 watt Reeflux 12K on Coralvue E ballast if anyone wants to see.

No, but I used to use the AquaConnect 14K... Very nice bulb... Great white light. I was using them on 250 HQI though.

I'm having trouble finding a decent 400Watt HQI bulb; they're either hovering the $100 range, or they are SE-; I thought the XM was DE, but looked further and saw it was SE, I've only been able to find a hamilton (and I believe someone told me in another thread to stay away from them)

go with the refllux great review on them dude i dont hve any 400 watts but looks good also good par and color from ushio and the radium bulbs

I guess what I'm asking now is--would a 20K bulb look fine with a 14 or 15K bulb??

ericmcj31;134856 wrote: I guess what I'm asking now is--would a 20K bulb look fine with a 14 or 15K bulb??

In my opinion, yes I personally like the color of a 20K bulb. But they will look better mixed than say a 10K and 20K :) Ask me how I know this. :)

Back