which light set up

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
well with my recent change in light set up i was wondering what people rather have i went with t5 let me know what you llike

I think the arguments are murky as the numbers simply aren't in. At this point it has to be a financial decision coupled with preference and to some extent ignorance. I actually had someone tell me a couple days ago you can't grow SPS under T5s and they will turn brown. I chalk that one up to ignorance.

i notice alot of people are going towards t5 ....i have two on a worke horse and 4 on a ice cap 660 ...how many people here are over driving them

I don't plan on overdriving them as I'll have plenty as it is (5x54W on a 50G) and it shortens the bulb life a bit.

I'm relatively new to the hobby, but I am a fan of the "shimmer" of MH, but if I was building from scatch I would likely go lower wattage MH with T5s packed in. How are you liking the new light setup, Victor?
BTW- I darted out the other day so Sam could be on his way, but thanks again.

lol sorry you have to pick one ...cameron if you want i can help you put them together you have done so much for me i would like to pay you back in one way or another

It is easy and I can do it in a couple hours. I have to finish my measurements so a friend can help me finish the lighting rack. The installation is really the easy part. Thanks though.

Since I have to pick one and I dont know my votes going to the one with the least amount of votes gotta help the little guy out/ Yay for leds whatever those are there were several with 0 so i had a even bigger decision on my hands

2x250 MH + 2x110 VHO Actinic... I have an LED fixture on order. It won't replace what I have, I don't think, but I wanted to start working it in and forming my own opinions/comparisons. -Mike

4 x 130 watt PC's - 48" fixture, 520 Watts total....cool, low power usage.

If I had the money I would probably look into the new LED lighting.

t5's are nice too - I just like the PC's at that wattage. I would not have PC's at any lower watts....I had a 4 x 64 watt PC fixture before and it did not pack enough PAR. I have been impressed with the 130 watt PC's though.

mwitten;115478 wrote: I wanted to start working it in and forming my own opinions/comparisons. -Mike
That is a fairly rare statement in this hobby.

Cameron;115483 wrote: That is a fairly rare statement in this hobby.

Well... I have read most every post everywhere on them, evaluations, etc. and figured I'd use it as a supplemental unit for a while and see how it goes. I feel I need a bit more light anyway. Someone has to actually try it for the market to evolve! At least I have broken myself of the early-adopter habit on computers and audio/video gear (I think).

I sometimes feel a bit like Dilbert in a classic strip when he got the video phone and was sitting waiting for someone else in town to get one.. Dogbert's comment was to the effect "The sad part is, people like him are needed for technology to move forward".

-Mike

Cost wise, (upfront and long term bulb replacement) i don't think you can beat MH, especially if you buying inexpensive bulbs. $/PAR they seem to be way ahead of the pack. (Plus i like the flicker also)

Appearance and color options has to now go to T-5's hands down.

Watts to PAR it is LED$$$, (but really the payback on the up front cost I'm guessing 40 years compare to a economical MH setup) second place Its a toss up. T-5s or MHs allot of factors and each fixture/setup can be SO deferent.

Heat transfer (most people don't want any) LED have a big advantage and if it enables you not to run a chiller then their high cost may not be so bad. T-5 secound... on small tanks this can be a big deal on larger tanks heat can be over come in other ways so its not as important to me.

Roland Jacques;115501 wrote: Cost wise, (upfront and long term bulb replacement) i don't think you can beat MH, especially if you buying inexpensive bulbs. $/PAR they seem to be way ahead of the pack. (Plus i like the flicker also)
Not sure I can agree with the cost. Maybe in the used sector, but T5s quickly outpace MH in terms of cost in most tanks. Take a 48"x24" tank which is likely the best MH cost ratio. A good new retro for MH with 2 bulbs will run you $500. A good new retro for 8 T5s is about $600. However you likely replace your bulbs in the MH twice as often (8 months versus 16 months). A good bulb will run you $75 in the MH and about $25 in the T5s. So $300 versus $200 every 1.5 years. Then there is the lower electric bill and less water costs from lower heat. I think T5s recoup and save you money over 3 years.

As for PAR output T5s can compete with MH in the sub 24" depths. MHs big advantages are they throw light further down into the tank, they provide a full range spectrum and they are point of source so you get more lots shimmer. However if you consider T5s throw their PAR across the length of the bulb and thus the length of the tank, they average out in some cases equal to or higher depending on setups. People tend to measure PAR on a MH bulb under the bulb not where the PAR tends to fall off.

Roland Jacques;115501 wrote: Appearance and color options has to now go to T-5's hands down.
I think this is preference personally. T5s tend to be softer while MH tend to be more crisp. You can customize your color choices better with T5s, but that is only part of the appearance.

Roland Jacques;115501 wrote: Watts to PAR it is LED$$$, (but really the payback on the up front cost I'm guessing 40 years compare to a economical MH setup) second place Its a toss up. T-5s or MHs allot of factors and each fixture/setup can be SO deferent.
This isn't as great as some people think. I believe the new fixtures use 5w LEDs which means a bank would suck at least 125w. If you look at straight PAR numbers, I think the Iwaski 175w MHs throw about the same amount of PAR. That is still an improvement but not the improvement LED companies would have you believe. Also, I don't think PAR is the be all in coral growth. I think it is the best measurement we have but I think a lot of corals need a fuller spectrum which is lacking more on LEDs than any of the others.

Roland Jacques;115501 wrote: Heat transfer (most people don't want any) LED have a big advantage and if it enables you not to run a chiller then their high cost may not be so bad. T-5 secound... on small tanks this can be a big deal on larger tanks heat can be over come in other ways so its not as important to me.
This is true, but LEDs do throw a lot of heat they just suck it off a heatsink which IMO is a big advantage.

IMO it is hard to beat an overdriven T5 setup as it offers flexibility and a lot of advantages in the PAR/cost/heat transfer arena. However, Iwasaki 175w bulbs with great reflectors is a close second on my list. If your tank is deeper than 24" and you plan on running light demanding corals/clams down there, IMO you MH is the only way to go.

I have heard the real downside with LED's is they dont "Broadcast" light..They pretty much shine straightdown...If thats the case..Thats alot of shadow in the tank...

Back