Which Of These Lights For My 60G

darren24

Market
Reaction score
Folks I have narrowed it down to 3 lights. The tank will be mostly softies, lps, and some sps. It is a 60G rimless cube. They are all around $500 when you include hanging accessories, etc.

Ecotech Radion XR15W

ATI 24" Dimmable Sunpower T5 6x24w

Kessill A360WE Tuna Blue

If growth is a major factor, then I'd go with the ATI lights, if not I'd go with the Radion. Just keep in mind the ATI will put out a lot of heat so you may need a chiller depending on where the tank is. I've had Radions before and they are nice lights and bring out great color in my corals and the growth was decent. I've ran ATI and LED's over the same tank and I didn't notice much of a difference in growth but I'm sure others may have different results.

I know you didn't ask, but I have a 60 cube and I'm using two of the Orbit Marine lights and am seeing really good results. I see that there are a couple for sale right now on this board. Like you, I have softies and a few SPS.

IMG_9347_zps16xeqipt.jpg
alt="" />

I vote ATI. If you run an open top it may help with the heat plus a few fans.

I have a 60 Cube and use a kessil - no issues with it and everything seems to be doing fine

i vote ati.im running a 54wx6 ati fixture over my 80g shallow and love it.cant go wrong with ati.

I vote ATI and add some LED's to it yourself...best of both worlds i feel

Go with the ATI fixture if you want the best growth. I would go with the Radion if your looking for the best color/viewing experience. The Kessil is nice but I've heard from others that they sometimes have trouble penetrating to the bottom of tanks so there is some par loss towards the bottom. All 3 are great lights.

If all other factors are perfect..... I'd personally do the ati... Although the cheap ocean revives are slowly winning me over (growth for me so far is just as good as w my old t5)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reeferman;1045537 wrote: unless you are a frag farmer,its always about color and viewing enjoyment
+1000 beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All 3 will do what it's designed to do. Go check out Dave's tank. He has the ATI dimmable on his dt and the Kessel on frag tank. He's also got a few leds I'm sure he'd be glad to show ya.

Darren, I'd go with the ATI fixture. I have a ATI 8 bulb dimmable fixture on my 93 Cube and it's perfect and I love the fixture. I'm using mostly ATI bulbs except for the Actinic. I'm using the Geismann True Actinic bulbs.

I use to have a 250 Watt Radium fixture running on the cube and I supplemented the MH's with LEDS but with the heat and the over powering of light my chalices and LPS didn't care to much for the lighting.

I agree with reefer man. I'm usually not concerned with speed of growth at all in a display tank setting. It's all about color and looks. I say go with Radion or Kessil. The control-ability options with the LEDs is just not comparable. The color combinations you can get with Radions is amazing.

My new frag tank is running two 250 watt radium's with the two Kessils and the colors of the SPS do look good I must say. I also love the shimmer the Kessils put out. I'm very impressed with the Kessils. I have both the A150W Deep Blue Ocean and the A160WE Tuna Blue fixtures and the 150 from my perspective generates more of a blue actinic then the 160. The 150 is 32 watts and isn't dimmable/controllable and the 160 is 45 watts and it's dimmable/controllable.

Darren, feel free to come over anytime you want. I have 2x360WE on my 60g on the Kessil controller. Simple, easy and they work. I can't compare to the Radion (never had one) and the ATi units are all amazing....just depends on what you want to see above your tank. I did have 1 Kessil and because it's a cluster of LEDs, you do get a spotlight like beam, so you'll have some shaded parts to the underside of sticks *(if you have any). I went with 2 (one top down and the other more towards the front of the tank, but angled back. This gives a little more wrap to the corals and keeps things all happy....so I think, lol. You can check my members tank gallery post for the most recent pics I posted.
showthread.php

Hnguyen;1045215 wrote: If growth is a major factor, then I'd go with the ATI lights, if not I'd go with the Radion. Just keep in mind the ATI will put out a lot of heat so you may need a chiller depending on where the tank is. I've had Radions before and they are nice lights and bring out great color in my corals and the growth was decent. I've ran ATI and LED's over the same tank and I didn't notice much of a difference in growth but I'm sure others may have different results.
I have the new ATI Sunpower and it doesn't put out that much heat. ATI improved the Technology and they now run extremely cooler.

i use 5 Kessils! 2 a160we's over my 40g breeder zoa/anemone tank and 3 a360we's with 4 80w t5 miro let. I love mine.