weaglereefer

Market
Reaction score
Still not entirely happy with my bulbs. I'm currently running:

1 Super Actinic
1 75.25
1 Blue Plus
1 Aquablue Special

This look is white with a hint of pink/purple, and I'd like it to have more of a blue hint.

I'm thinking of changing to one of the three following setups:

<u>Option 1</u>
1 Blue Plus
1 Pro Color
1 Blue Plus
1 Aquablue Special

<u>Option 2</u>
1 Blue Plus
1 Aquablue Special
1 Fiji Purple
1 Aquablue Special

<u>Option 3</u> (sort of a combo of the first 2)
1 Blue Plus
1 Fiji Purple
1 Blue Plus
1 Aquablue Special

Whatcha think?

I'm running a variant of your Option 1 and am happy with it. Colors pop, things are growing, no complaints from me! Took a couple days to get used to the blue hue compared to my old bulbs but now I don't even notice it. After breaking one of my other bulbs before it even saw power I stopped playing the positional/color shuffle and just left it be. :doh:

Blue +
Aquablue Special
Procolor
Blue +

I voted option 3. My 2 cents...

The procolor is not really that great of a lamp compared to its competitors in the same spectrum. It is lower par than the UVL Actinic White, Fiji Purple, and 75.25 (which are perhaps kinda comparable lamps). It is a nice lamp though, if par is already good and does not need to be maximized. It's color is somewhat unique among the other lamps I named and it is not as harsh as any of them I dont think.

For a 4 lamp combo I think option 3 is right on if you like blue. I actually ran that exact combo on one of my IC 660s and I used it for the 1st bank (dawn/dusk) before dropping the aquablue for the VHO. But it is pretty blue, not what I would consider a blue 'hint'. Good thing is that par is good and things pop pretty well.

If you want to kinda see what this looks like you are welcome to come by my place before or after the meeting to check it out.

I think another option is to just trade out your super actinic for a blue +. The 75.25 already has actinic in it's band, so you might be happy with losing the actinic (which is a really weak t5) and pumping some more blue + into the spectrum.

And lastly, this is the end-all-be-all thread on t5 combos. if you have time to peruse it.

showthread.php

Cool, well I guess I'll start shopping around for the best prices on the Fiji Purple and another Blue Plus, since I trust your judgement with T5 combos.

I've perused that thread and it's what helped me come up with those 3 bulb combo options. I'd like to be upgrading to a 6-8 bulb fixture in the not to distant future, so that will mean a whole nother set of questions.

Thanks!

Well, I'm not saying it is the best, since the color preference is all in the eye of the beholder, but I can say I have been very happy with my Fiji. I will say though, it is very harsh, so you will definatly see the purplish color in your tank. I personally like it, but am balancing it out with blues and aquablues.

Chris at Einstein Aquatics has some in stock, and is about the same as online vendors I think (after shipping) so when you are coming through to the meeting you could just get one there. He also carries teh KZ equivalent to a Blue+, so you might just get one of those too. He runs all of those in his displays, so you can get a look at the color before you buy as well.

OR, you can get the Blue+ throught the powerbuy.

BTW, I have a procolor you can try as well. I will bring it to the meeting.

What is the KZ equivalent of Blue+? If I can borrow your Procolor to see the looks, that would be the cheapest option for right now (only having to purchase 1 bulb, instead of 2 or 3) and give me a few weeks to see if I like the look/growth.

I will bring it to the meeting if you can still make it.

I dont know the KZ or Aqua Science equivalent, I think it is called a Duo or something. I really forget now. I'd have to look. I think the AS one is just called a 22000k.

Yup, I'm coming for sure. Already got off work and just had to wait until class yesterday to see when our test was, and it doesn't interfere.

I have some corals too, so bring a cooler if you have one. I got rid of all my styro boxes.

Yeah, I've got to pick up a bunch of frags and bring a bunch as well, so I'm bringing sufficient storage. Got a space all picked out for the bubble coral that I think will do well and keep everything safe from it.

Back