which test kit to buy

swfk44

Market
Reaction score
i need a new test kit and wondering which one to buy for marine pH, alkalinity, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. i know that there are many different opinions so thought i'd do a little poll without all the technical input. i relize that some are better than others for certain things and therefor may buy individual kits for each?

seachem
api
salifert
elos
red sea
instant ocean

I wouldn't consider API. They're ok</em> for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite but totally useless on pH. And calcium is usually off.

Elos - I like them though a little pricey.

Salifert - I really like this one. I find it to be very accurate in the nitrate and very easy to use for calcium.

Seachem - Only have used one kit. The one thing I do like is that they include a reference solution so you can verify the accuracy of the test.

Red Sea and Instant Ocean - never used these so I can't comment.

I think the Salifert and Elos test kits are fine. The Elos KH test kit doesn't have near the resolution of the Salifert. Best you can get is .5 units dKH, like 7.0, 7.5 etc. Salifert goes to 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 etc. You decide how much resolution you need, both will work.

I use Salifert Kits, but also bought an Elos KH test kit becasue there was apparently a bad batch of Salifert KH kits on the market, but Salifert now includes a test solution to check the kit against.

JennM;439998 wrote: I would rule out API.

Jenn

Oh come on Jenn, whats wrong with API?

Can ya run it by us 1 more time? :lol2:

Ok im gonna go crawl in my cave now. :shout:

You're technique is going to prove mroe important than the test kit itself. I have no problem with API or Seachem tests. I used to use Salifert, but see very little point in spending the extra money on them vs. the Seachem or API. I didn't like the Elos tests at all.

As far as ph is concerned, buy a ph pen. They're much easier and very accurate for cheap.

thank you everyone for helping me to make a discision, if money weren't an object it looks like as if the salifert is the most popular. i have decided to go with the seachem, 1 reason is because of a good deal from a fellow member on a slightly used one for a fair price. thank you all again for your opinions and i hope it may have helped others needing a new kit also. :bubba:

Back