White impermeable substance

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
It's on my glass
It appeared one night.
It happened when I was having serious alk issues.
I can't scrape it off w a credit card or fingernail.....
It DOES come off but man.... It's tough... And stuck!
3e1d128d02d2a976279840da3f3c9d1f.jpg
alt="" />

I've NEVER come in contact with this stuff

What happened?
41f90d3b26faba6ce7ad2af97ecf8899.jpg
alt="" />

Help!
I DONT want to have to empty the tank and soak it in something......

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

My best guess would be precipitation from adding too much Alk at once. When I started dosing and dosed too much too quickly I saw it on heaters, pumps and just about every piece of equipment. I wish I could tell you an easy way to go it cleaned. :(

You might want to give your pumps and powerheads a vinegar soak as well. I had that once and shortly after lost several due to buildup on the pump impellers.

dude. your parameters are so out of whack lol. that is insane precipitation. alk and calcium are so done i wouldnt even trust the numbers from a test kit.

50% wc and wait a week before testing again.

this is a prime case of experience over numbers.

Good call about the pumps and heaters... just a guess but likely to be calcium carbonate.

If the tank is glass, try using a razor blade (was it to get the oil off and don't cut yourself) to clean it. Oh and stay away from the silicone sides seams and bottom.

Good read
a>

Russ-IV;1071156 wrote: dude. your parameters are so out of whack lol. that is insane precipitation. alk and calcium are so done i wouldnt even trust the numbers from a test kit.

Agreed.
I did a giant water change and things are back to a reasonable state (last week)

Still....
I have that crap on the tank.

I DO have a fresh set of might mags in the mail so maybe that will help

Oddly my SPS have been exploding with growth and color :/

Go figure

SnowManSnow;1071159 wrote: Agreed.
I did a giant water change and things are back to a reasonable state (last week)

Still....
I have that crap on the tank.

I DO have a fresh set of might mags in the mail so maybe that will help

then as previous members stated. do a vinegar soak or stuff will fail prematurely.
sometimes our test kits can fail us when they are that far off.

anyway. there is a mag float with a razor attacchment that will fix that up in a jiffy.

SnowManSnow;1071160 wrote: Oddly my SPS have been exploding with growth and color :/

Go figure

yeah they probably loved the over amped calcium and alk you gave them. But that crack rock lasts so long...

Russ-IV;1071161 wrote: then as previous members stated. do a vinegar soak or stuff will fail prematurely.

sometimes our test kits can fail us when they are that far off.

anyway. there is a mag float with a razor attacchment that will fix that up in a jiffy.

All my pumps / skimmer / heaters have been cleaned as new as of last weekend.

I even took the whole sump out ..... And cleaned it.

The EQUIPMENT looks great ha

Russ-IV;1071156 wrote: dude. your parameters are so out of whack lol. that is insane precipitation. alk and calcium are so done i wouldnt even trust the numbers from a test kit.

LOL. If you knew this individuals and his previous tank, might think twice about questioning his experience. I believe Brandon to be one of the most accomplished reefers in this club. At 56 years old one thing I am sure of is that life keeps reminding me I haven't seen everything yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rdnelson99;1071168 wrote: LOL. If you knew this individuals and his previous tank, might think twice about questioning his experience. I believe Brandon to be one of the most accomplished reefers in this club. At 56 years old one thing I am sure of is that life keeps reminding me I haven't seen everything yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ahaha

no. that is not what i meant rich.

i meant that his test kit would give false numbers at this kind of saturation. the back wall's precipitate gives a perfect example of experience over the kit.

was not doubting anyone's experience. so dont read in to it as such

All good fellas ;)
Russ is right.
It's time to "feel" this one through.

I'm excited to get that stuff cleaned off. Since I added the 4 t5 to the radions things have gotten interesting

Thing is.... This stuff is REALLY stuck

Be glad it's not beerstone aka "Calcium oxalate". Talk about a pain to deal with, it's the stuff kidney stones are made of. Had to get suited up to use nitric acid to clean up fermentors more then once.

barry_keith;1071190 wrote: I'm shocked your whole sand bed did not solidify

It's just on the glass....
No solid sand bed;)

Sewer Urchin;1071185 wrote: Be glad it's not beerstone aka "Calcium oxalate". Talk about a pain to deal with, it's the stuff kidney stones are made of. Had to get suited up to use nitric acid to clean up fermentors more then once.

If it was... I think I'd just buy another tank and transfer everything haha

SnowManSnow;1071195 wrote: You had this happen?

No thank goodness. But, I've had it on pumps and Heaters back when I started dosing.

Back