Who can tell me why my overflow does this?

JennM;774561 wrote: I don't know the answer, Shane, other than maybe they don't know about the problem. It doesn't happen to everyone, in fact it happens to very few.

WBeacham has a Marineland overflow kit and I believe its prior owner had put a little piece of tubing in the hole (ML kits just have a hole, they are made out of regular PVC not specially molded plastic like the AGA/Aqueon kits are). Same issue, same fix.

I wouldn't bother with the trouble of PVC and elbows but if you feel like you must do that, don't get 90 degree elbows, get 2 x 45s to achieve the corner, it works better. Still, you're better off getting a shorter "vacuum" hose (call it that because it looks like the hose on a vacuum cleaner, not because it actually vacuums).

Before you fuss with all that, just widen the hole already. If you find it messes up the assembly, I'll give you a new piece. That assembly is made of several pieces that snap together, you're only 'risking' one little piece.

Putting my money where my mouth is, that ought to fix it.

Jenn

Listen to her she knows what she's talking about.

I currently have a 1/4" vent hole in my durso. I've also seen people put needle valves on the vent to adjust the airflow. You can't really have to large of a vent but it will be noisy. You walk a fine line with the amount of air you let in. Not enough and it flushes, too much and it's noisy at the durso and in the sump because of extra air mixed in with the water.

Just enlarge the hole a little bit. You should see the cycle of the flushing slow down. Just keep stepping it up until it stops flushing.

Just prop the hose a bit where it sags if you need to (Zip tie to the back vertical brace in the stand works as long as it doesn't impede servicing other equipment).

Occasionally I know what I'm talking about :lol:

Jenn

Chris S;774581 wrote: I currently have a 1/4" vent hole in my durso. I've also seen people put needle valves on the vent to adjust the airflow. You can't really have to large of a vent but it will be noisy. You walk a fine line with the amount of air you let in. Not enough and it flushes, too much and it's noisy at the durso and in the sump because of extra air mixed in with the water.

Just enlarge the hole a little bit. You should see the cycle of the flushing slow down. Just keep stepping it up until it stops flushing.
GREAT advice. Thank you. I think I would have just started with a huge hole :)

JennM;774584 wrote: Occasionally I know what I'm talking about
Ha! I know you do. I just really want to know the why</em> of everything I'm doing and not just the what</em>.

here is a quick and reversible ..as well as adjustable and best of all.... cheap fix !!! snake one or more flexible airline tubings into the durso ....I had the problem on the 220 as well... you can adjust how far down into the water draining you need it to be until it flows properly....It's not getting enough air

Edit: just be sure to clip the lines to the side of the durso so they dont get sucked down...ask me how i know...

I know this will come as a shock, but I eventually ended up doing exactly what Jenn said to do :D

The space isn't big enough for 45-degree elbows to work, and I couldn't see any other way to do it, so the "vacuum" hose is now strapped to the back of the stand.

I enlarged the air hole from 11/64" to just a little over 3/8", going one drill bit at a time until the flushing stopped. (I didn't have an air line I could snake in there, so I just went for it.) Repeatedly covering the hole and watching the flushing get worse reassured me that I was indeed on the right path.

The whole thing is still much louder than I expected it to be, but then it's still an open stand, too. Once everything is in place, I expect the noise will be reduced substantially.

Looking at your build thread, I may have tried moving the sump 180 degrees and putting the return pump on horizontal duty with bends instead of the overflow. Sounds like you are getting it dialed in though.

Yeah, I have definitely thought about that MANY times. The hose I was using for the return was too stiff to allow me to have it the other way, though, and</em> the drain hose would have had a loop in it.

I'm still considering it, though :)

Do you have a pipe down inside the filter sock below the water line without holes that are above the water line? If so that is what I believe causes that. That pump may be a touch small too.

ShanePike;774627 wrote: I know this will come as a shock, but I eventually ended up doing exactly what Jenn said to do :D

The space isn't big enough for 45-degree elbows to work, and I couldn't see any other way to do it, so the "vacuum" hose is now strapped to the back of the stand.

I enlarged the air hole from 11/64" to just a little over 3/8", going one drill bit at a time until the flushing stopped. (I didn't have an air line I could snake in there, so I just went for it.) Repeatedly covering the hole and watching the flushing get worse reassured me that I was indeed on the right path.

The whole thing is still much louder than I expected it to be, but then it's still an open stand, too. Once everything is in place, I expect the noise will be reduced substantially.

OK, I would just like to point out, that yesterday morning when I was over looking at it, I actually suggested enlarging the hole. But, because I wasn't sure and it wasn't my tank I did suggest getting opinions before moving foward. LOL Not that I would be one to say "I told you so" but...... hehehehehe

Glad you are getting it dialed in. Going to be a sweet tank. And the rock work looks great. Especially the big arch. Looks like something out of the Painted Desert.

brchapm;774666 wrote: I need to save this thread as I have some major toilet noise after moving my sump to the basement. Fortunately, the 3000Db Canopyfan blocks most of the noise for now...once I replace the fan, then this will be the next step!

I don't like to restrict the flow on drain lines... But with a long drop into your basement a ball or gate valve could help with the noise by slowing down the flow.

I can say it....although usually I'm not one to do so.

<u><span style="font-size: 17px">I TOLD YOU SO!
</span>
</em></u><span style="font-size: 17px"><span style="font-size: 11px"><font size="3"><!-- gcu-updated -->

</span></span></font><!-- gcu-updated SIZE --><p style="text-align:center"><span style="font-size: 17px"><span style="font-size: 11px"><font size="3"><!-- gcu-updated -->:lol:</span></span></font><!-- gcu-updated SIZE -->

Cjsparky;774638 wrote: a loop?

The "vacuum" hose is about 3" long. With the drop from the bottom of the drain to the top of the sump being only about 6 inches, I would have had to have looped the hose to account for all the excess length.

JennM;774733 wrote: <u><span style="font-size: 17px">I TOLD YOU SO!</span></em></u>

You're so petty :tongue:

ShanePike;774740 wrote: The "vacuum" hose is about 3" long. With the drop from the bottom of the drain to the top of the sump being only about 6 inches, I would have had to have looped the hose to account for all the excess length.

Ahh I just used flexible braided hose on mine and cut it to length...but now I understand.

heathlindner25;774776 wrote: I'm glad you widen the whole, she was practically begging you!!lol

LOL It was getting to the point where I was afraid she was going to start smacking him around. {but then she never hits too hard} LOL

heathlindner25;774776 wrote: I'm glad you widen the whole, she was practically begging you!!lol

rdnelson99;774784 wrote: LOL It was getting to the point where I was afraid she was going to start smacking him around. {but then she never hits too hard} LOL

Ha! Me too. Whatever happened, I figured I was going to have to at least tell </em> her that I had widened the hole ;)

Back