Who has successfully swapped tanks?

gajeep94yj

Market
Reaction score
I picked up a new/bigger tank and need to swap my current tank into the bigger one...... Am I making too much out of this?

I have a few fish and a few corals. Would like to keep them all alive after the swap! Most of the coral is glued to the live rock base.

The new tank needs to occupy the existing location.

So how do you go about doing this?

My thoughts were, suck all the water out into buckets (which I don't have yet). Put fish and rock/coral in the buckets with a power head?

Move old tank out of the way.

Put new tank in place, swap the sand. (Keep the existing sand I am already using) Fill back up the new tank with enough of the old water to cover the rocks/coral. Put the base rock and coral in the new tank. Wrong order I know, I would like to put the rock in before the sand, but don't see how...

At this point what do I do? Does it have to cycle again? Should I try to reuse all the old water? Add new fresh water in slowly? When do I reintroduce the fish?

Thanks in advance!

I have...more than once.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to have a stock tank. You can use your existing water to fill the tank so no need to cycle. As you drain your existing tank, put the critters and corals in 5 gallon buckets. Once they are all captured, drain all of the remaining water to the stock tank. Bring it to temp and then transfer the fish. Make sure you have filtration of some kind (I used a couple of canister filters) and a protein skimmer ready to go. Lighting isn't really the issue. Keeping temp IS an issue.

Oh...and I wouldn't use the old sand. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Great. Don't have a stock tank...

Can I use a 5 gallon bucket as a stock tank?

And what's wrong with using the existing sand? I thought that would be better because I won't have to wait for the cloudiness and for the cycle?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

There is a fairly decent chance that the existing sand will release a lot of not so great stuff into the water when you disturb it. It's probably better to go with new sand and just deal with the cloudiness for a few days instead.

Won't the cloudiness hurt the livestock?

I was planning on doing this in one afternoon. Is that too optimistic?

If you pre-rinse your sand well, you can probably do it in one afternoon. Old sand lends itself to "old tank syndrome" which I'm going through right now. After 3 years of running, I can't get nitrates below a certain level which means my substrate is warehousing it. I'm going to have to remove all of my sand...in a 180....full of live rock....not going to be a fun nor easy task. Hopefully then, my nitrates will go away. Everything else has failed to make a reduction.

Now for the stock tank issue.....look around here, I'm sure there are people that have them and can loan you one. Another option is to purchase a cheap tank for this purpose or to use trash cans. You didn't say what size tank you are going from and to. The issue with 5 gallon buckets is the temp will change in that water very rapidly. Trust me...I've done this and it wasn't pretty.

" old tank syndrome" .... That may be what's going on in my tank now that started this whole process.... Oh well too late now.

GaJeep94YJ;1101492 wrote: Won't the cloudiness hurt the livestock?

I was planning on doing this in one afternoon. Is that too optimistic?

Like Jeff said. If you rinse out the sand in buckets real well with mixed salt water you should be able to flush all of the organics and other nasty's out and be able to reuse it.

porpoiseaquatics;1101498 wrote: After 3 years of running, I can't get nitrates below a certain level which means my substrate is warehousing it. I'm going to have to remove all of my sand...in a 180....full of live rock....not going to be a fun nor easy task. Hopefully then, my nitrates will go away. Everything else has failed to make a reduction.

Hey Jeff, Have you tried DR. Tim's Waste Away? Or this stuff...

http://www.uwcmn.com/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner">Vibrant
</a>[IMG]http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/">Discussion about it here.</a>

With my tank being so new I don't have this problem, yet. But I like to read and don't know if either of these products are worth while or snake oil.

anit77;1101505 wrote:
Hey Jeff, Have you tried DR. Tim's Waste Away? Or this stuff...

http://www.uwcmn.com/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner">Vibrant
</a>[IMG]http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/">Discussion about it here.</a>

With my tank being so new I don't have this problem, yet. But I like to read and don't know if either of these products are worth while or snake oil.[/QUOTE]

Adam....I've not tried any of that. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Just curious if your new tank is going in the same place as current tank? If not, the swap is SUPER easy!

If the new system is going in the same location as running system then advise as stated above... +1

If you don't have everything listed below please reach out to members for items rather than purchasing something for a day or two. Members here are incredible generous and understanding on issues like this. It's heartwarming to be part of this club! Other than heaters, I could loan you the remaining..., 35 & 20 gallon brute, tubs/containers, small PH...
(for a few days). PM if needed.

How I've done my last two swaps:

1. Use clean tubs for holding containers (bigger is better).
2. Have on hand same amount of heaters and small powerheads as needed for tubs above. Place tubs on rugs or towels rather than directly on cold tile, countertop, hardwoods etc. (prevent swing in temp when tank water is added).
3. Prepare FRESH water with SAME salt you have been using, better safe than sorry make enough to fill your new system.
4. Test salinity, temp, pH mag calc.. all prams of current tank water and new water. Salt brands are different, our reef depletes/increases prams, any major swing can be extremely problematic.
5. Remove existing water to tubs, move reef to holding containers (much easier to catch fish with less water and little to no rock & coral). Move old system out, setup new system.
6. Add NEW sand and a FEW CUPS of existing sand from previous tank, add 75% fresh saltwater, check parameters again in new tank. Providing prams are identical, add sand, reef then fish.

The above information I had previously typed up for a member a few years ago. Without the allowed time to proof for accuracy, I suggest you do as many (and everyone should). Read all advice given do your own research and take what you feel is best from all accumulated.
The experienced members above most likely had you covered. This was added as it was fingertip information available and hopefully has additional helpful information.

This is going to be more difficult than previously thought.....

So who want to come help &#128513;

Jk.

I bought someone setup who was getting out. I don't like the sump. I might have to do more research and a different dump.... Major bummer

For those of us that have larger systems this would be a much more arduous task. One of the prominent members here recently moved a large system and had a major crash. Given the volume of water your setup has you should be able to do this with out much, if any losses.

If you have space very close to the existing system to use temporarily it will make this even easier. Setup a a 40 breeder as close as you can then transfer about half the the water from the 35 to the 40 with out disturbing the sand. Then add a little pre-made fresh saltwater to the 40, enough so that when you move the live rock over that it all will be covered. Once you have the rock in place on a bare bottom move the rest of the livestock over and transfer most of the remaining water, leaving enough to cover the sand slightly or stop as soon as you start sucking some of it up.
At this point add a bubbler to the 40 and start moving over you existing filtration, lighting & heater to the 40. Once everything topped off and back up & running in the 40 you will have all of the time you need for removing the 35 and setting up the new tank.

Going this route and applying the advise above you will avoid having to use multiple different storage containers and it will be less stressful to the livestock. If it takes you a month to get the new system up and running so be it. You know everything is safe in a single tank with the same filtration that has gotten you this far.

Make a list of everything you're going to need temporally and post it here on the forum to see who can loan you what you'll need. Once you have it all together... plan you work and work your plan.

Moved tanks too many time. I moved from my 120 to my new 125 8 ft away and lost a lot due to rushing the process. The advice given by Anit and others is correct, slow and steady wins the race but sometimes we have to rush and thats where planning comes in.

Most recently I moved my 125 gallon peninsula from Dunwoody to Alpharetta in one day with very minimal loss.The only things I lost were due to me packing corals too close together and some corals killed each other.

Is the tank going in the same spot as current tank or new location?

My process: Same day moves require planning and time management.

Step 1: Mixed up new saltwater to be used to top off the tank after the move.

Step 1: Have all the essentials needed for new tank on hand the day of the move. (i.e sand, heater, sump, pumps) Nothing worse than setting up temporary fixes and having to re do it. Light is not as critical and can be moved day of move.

Step 2: Get a Brute trash can to house the live rock during transfer. 5 gallon bucket for live stock.

Step 3: Plan the activities needed to perform the transfer.

Step 4: Day before move mix up new saltwater to be used to top off the tanks during/after the move and rinse new sand out to be used in new tank.

Step 5: Fully set up new tank in its location (Fully set up to run). If the tank is going in the spot of old tank. Skip this step.

Step 6: Using the brute trash can empty half the water from current tank (try to take the top half of the water to avoid disturbing the sand) and as much live rock as you can without disturbing rocks touching the sand into the brute trashcan to transfer to new tank.

New tank location scenario: Replenish old tank with fresh saltwater (basically did a large water change) and go to step 7a.

New Tank in Old Location: go to step 7b.

Step 7a: If setting up new tank in a new location go ahead and transfer live rock and old water to the new tank. Rock scape now because livestock is fine in established tank for now. Top off new tank with fresh saltwater and run the tank (Importance of Step 1 to have all equipment needed). This buys time for moving. Make sure to monitor old take as you have removed biological filtration with the removal of the rock. If you intend to run it this way for a few days do small daily water changes to make sure nitrate levels don&#8217;t rise. Once ready for move capture/move livestock in 5-gallon bucket(s) using the tank water that they were in.

Step 7b: Put enough tank water into a 5 gallon bucket to cover the top fins of the fish and transfer the fish to the bucket. Make sure water stays warm. Hard to maintain temp for long periods of time Do the same for corals. Once livestock is out move remaining rock to rock bucket and move the old tank out of the way to place new tank.
This is where time plays a factor, you have got to rock scape and get the new sand in after rock scaping. I always change the scape after so I focus on my placing my base rock because you don&#8217;t want to change that later. Fill new tank with the half of the old water you gather and top off with the newly mixed salt water. This is done while your livestock is sitting In buckets.
Step 8: With the new tank set up and running and livestock in bucket(s) drip acclimate them to the new tank to stabilize temp and parameter differences. Once drip acclimated add to new tank.
Step 9: Break down old tank and clean up:
Step 10: Monitor parameters of new tank for the first two weeks. Always have new salt water mixed on hand for emergency water changes during this time.

I think this covers it. Anyone feel free to add anything that I may have missed. Sorry it is so long and let us know if you need anything to borrow. I have enough stuff to run a couple tanks and I am selling a lot of my extras as well.

Thanks,

Austin

Didn't think about the mess the water would be in after the rock removal. Good point!

We should make a stickied thread about this topic.

Thanks for all the info guys! It really helps.

My current issue I have to figure out is the sump. The be setup came with a rs75 and a reactor. It's tiny and I'd prefer to keep a larger sump and use a refuge.

So I gotta make a new sump first.

Here's my design of the sump. I drew it using feet instead of inches so it'd print better...

386b70e566106690c1f6f5065ec1c729.jpg
alt="" />

It's 21" square right now. May have to shrink it to 20" though

frag freak;1101529 wrote: If you want, I have a 40 gallon breeder you can borrow.
If you were closer I'd probably take you up on that.

I'd have to figure out how to add filtration too

for all the planning you can do.. .

IF you have sps .. you're going to loose some.. seemingly for no reason. perhaps you'd be the exception, but I've NEVER pulled off an entire tank move and not lost a few things (at least).
Even using the same water... the same rock...
don't ask me why.
guess i'm an underdeveloped reefer

Back