Who keeps their moon light on ALL NIGHT?

project1004

Supporting
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys leave the moon night on all night?

The reason I ask is because I like to use the Night sensor on Jebao RW pump's in bare bottom tank. If I leave LED on it should automatically go into night mode. My current cycle have about 8 hours of complete darkness. Is there any benefits to leaving moon light on or vise versa?

porpoiseaquatics;989733 wrote: Mine is programmed to a Lunar cycle so it varies every single night.

That's cool. does your light go into complete darkness? I know Jebao will kick back to normal if it is completely dark. Are you using night sensors?

Mine does go to complete darkness. The new RW sensors are far better than the WP was so there's no issue with my Jebaos kicking back on. When I was running WP's, I hooked up a MLC with blues to my RKE and that put out enough light for them to remain in night mode.

I ramp my AI sol to run the blues at 4% at night. In leave my one wp25 on at night and my other kicks off when the lights go down.

On my 180 I use six pods made by fishbowl innovations. Im not sure if you can still get them. Mine are 7~ years old. It has a 28 day cycle box. It runs 24/7 and have had no issue what so ever.

On my two MH tanks they stay on all night... with the radion they stay on for a few hours and then completely turn off.

Thanks for all the response guys.

I went and left moon lights on and it is currently running on night modes. This means my pump will be on 12hr full power (8/8 power) and 12 hr on night mode(1/8 power) from led ramping up and down. I will see if it has any ill effects ect.

The original old-school LED moon/lunar lights were intended to stay on all night. Only since the fancy programmable/variable type lights, do people have the option to put them out, short of putting the LED transformer from older style fixtures, on a timer.

Never any ill effects that I'm aware of.

Jenn

project1004;989799 wrote: Thanks for all the response guys.

I went and left moon lights on and it is currently running on night modes. This means my pump will be on 12hr full power (8/8 power) and 12 hr on night mode(1/8 power) from led ramping up and down. I will see if it has any ill effects ect.

Fellow Packer fan,
Honest question -- why do you want your pumps to ramp down at night? Especially that much. I've always read about night mode with my vortechs and all that... I do reduce their intensity a bit at night, but my thought has always been that the ocean probably doesn't go into night mode, why would my tank? Wondering what others' thoughts are on that.

I'm with tony on this for the pumps. I just jacked up my flow and i feel bad for my clowns, at night they can't sleep in the anemone, they keep getting constantly blown out. Bless their little hearts they just keep swimming right back in there. Hopefully they figure out they can probably sleep underneath it.

I don't really lower my flow at night, I would think the corals still need good flow for respiration and such, not sure really. Since a likely cause of my STN was low flow, i'm definitely going to err on the side of too much at night.

To Tony,

Every time I've went to the ocean (100's) the water is usually calmer at night unless a storm or tide is coming in. Think about how much easier it is to swim at night. I always swim out way too far too, I like risky feelings!
However I do agree about "that much", mine only back off about 25% in night mode.

As for moon lighting, mines always gone completely dark until recently. It's very low still but after a week a lot of my large LPS still aren't opening up as much as usual. IDK but guess I'm going to make another change and go to pitch black... I wouldn't think they "need" total darkness the ocean usually isn't.
Need the experienced again... Wondering if my corals need more time to get used to the change?

tonymission;990148 wrote: Fellow Packer fan,
Honest question -- why do you want your pumps to ramp down at night? Especially that much. I've always read about night mode with my vortechs and all that... I do reduce their intensity a bit at night, but my thought has always been that the ocean probably doesn't go into night mode, why would my tank? Wondering what others' thoughts are on that.

Yay!!! Tony :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Main reasons I'm doing this is for Experiment purpose. This might get long so i keep it short. Hehee

I started dosing reef enenrgy at night (return and skimmer off for an 1hr) and I like to get good contact times for corals to obsorb much nutrients as possible. Althought Jebao RW-15 is rated from 400 Gal to 4000 Gal, even at the lowests setting it still blows sands in my 120 before. Now I have bare bottom after tank swap, I keep my Jebao at 4000 gph (x2) in the day time and I like to give my fishes some time of resting like above post. My fishes could get better rest perhaps.

I recently bought additional reef breeders photon 32 and is connected to my 120. Some think it's over kill but I think my tank could use some extra light. getting lots of shadow effects as corals are growing. I am going to use it as experienting after accumulating. Im planning on using the extra LED and ramping up and down thru out the day like cloud effects.

Back