Who reefs above 80?

glxtrix

Market
Reaction score
I have a constant temp (when lights are on) at about 81.5......Who here reefs above 80? Large tank people and small tank people, do you feel comfortable reefing at higher temps? Do you feel its better to reef at higher temps in a small tank or a large one?

My heaters are set to 79.5 ish, but the temp is routinely 80-81 during the day and at the lowest 79.5 at night. I run like 300 fans on my system though. If I didnt have a reliable temperature control system in play, I would set the temp to 77 or 78 though. It would take much for a tank to get to 86+ and wreak havoc.

My 14g biocube hits 81 during the middle of the day. It never goes below 79 from what I have seen.

mine hits 83-84 during the day and has for about a year. Everything does fine and I get really good growth on my corals. This is in a 20 high with a pretty light bioload. I only have 4 fish and a cuc. I really only see mid 80s as a problem if there is a high bioload and the skimmer can't keep enough oxygen in the water.

My tank ranges from 80-82 depending if its night or day but that seems close to what I think reefs would be like. Hotter during the day cooler at night...

acroporas;180015 wrote: My heater is set to 85.

To quote Dana Riddle (to Jesse, if I remember correctly):

"I'll send flowers".

I hope you have your tank hooked up to your refridgerator to chill it. Make that 2 refridgeratiors in case one fails.

Thanks god. I was worried my tank is at 81.5.

Cross that worry off my list.

I added a chiller, my tank was running around 85 though..added the chiller and keep it around 79-80, everything looks a lot better since lowering the temp down to 80.

acroporas;180215 wrote: Nope, don't need any chillers. In the summer if I unplug the heaters the temp drops to ~82. But that would be too cold for me....So I have a few 300W heaters in the sump to keep things nice and toasty in the summer time...

Bookmarking this quote for later.... :unsure:

You're playing with fire there, bud. It won't take much of an equipment failure to lose everything when you're that close to the edge...

bah, who cares about the edge.....my nano at work runs 88 and I have a full blown acro forest.........

Those the fans that I told you to get at RS? Glad they are working well for you. mine are still kicking with out any issues. I too run them when the halides are on....and for maybe an hour after they go off, just to make sure the heat gets out of the canopy. Well I put it here for a discussion about whether people think its better to run warmer in a smaller or larger tank. Yeah I prolly should have put it in the general area...oh well. Fortunately people can see it either way :)

83-84 degrees tank sits here

> 84 halides turn off

>84.5 chiller turns on

no problems the last 2 years.... good growth rate..

Back