Who runs OZONE?

william1

Market
Reaction score
Any one out there run ozone? If so do you have any pics of the carbon set up for release of the ozone. I have 4 kids and was thinks on how to set up mine. Anyone anyone. come on I know people have pics.

william you do understand the risks of ozone if not correctly set-up, right? i think it is not worth it.

I have a MRC skimmer with an ozone port. Just wondering how to set it up correctly so there wont be any worries. I am an everyday tank person so I am constantly near my tank tweaking things and making sure there running at tip top. Thus cleaning my becketts at 4:15am the other morning.

I've run ozone for years with good success. Inject into the skimmer. Skimmer just dumps back into sump - no carbon or anything. No headaches, no complaints from anyone visiting. Just good, clean water.

I don't agree that it's "one more thing to go wrong"- it's one of the few things in this hobby that I use that pretty much "just runs" without any interaction or worry. I can get away with some of this by avoiding the use of an ORP controller, which can lead to crashes. Don't run the generator at a full 100% - instead, use just enough that the water that you pour into a white bucket is clear / slight blue- there's no reason to use more if you're looking for better water quality.

If you have one of our remote waste collectors we can retrofit a carbon lid onto the collector that catches all ozone in the air.

mojo;230651 wrote: I've run ozone for years with good success. Inject into the skimmer. Skimmer just dumps back into sump - no carbon or anything. No headaches, no complaints from anyone visiting. Just good, clean water.

I don't agree that it's "one more thing to go wrong"- it's one of the few things in this hobby that I use that pretty much "just runs" without any interaction or worry. I can get away with some of this by avoiding the use of an ORP controller, which can lead to crashes. Don't run the generator at a full 100% - instead, use just enough that the water that you pour into a white bucket is clear / slight blue- there's no reason to use more if you're looking for better water quality.

My skimmer dumps into the sump. The skimmer lid has a really good seal so the overflow goes to a 1 gallon jug. So the ozone might go there and leak out. so there would have to be carbon over the top of the milk jug? How much carbon must the ozone pass threw?

WILLIAM1;230663 wrote: My skimmer dumps into the sump. The skimmer lid has a really good seal so the overflow goes to a 1 gallon jug. So the ozone might go there and leak out. so there would have to be carbon over the top of the milk jug? How much carbon must the ozone pass threw?

Until you don't smell it anymore. If there's another way to test for ozone that doesn't cost a fortune, I don't know what it is.

Whether or not you need to worry that much on it really depends on your family's sensitivity to ozone (some people are very sensitive and can't even go near a copy machine) and how much you use for you setup. I use around 50mg/hr for my 350g of actual water volume, for reference.

Thanks Mojo. Anyone else have any ideas out there or pics of there set ups.

Oh right - a picture. Here's an older one, but you can see the ozone generator on the shelf next to my skimmer. Small air pump -> ozone -> injected into venturi on skimmer. On my MR-3, I used the ozone port.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
230675=13683-skimmer 1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
230675=13683-skimmer 1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="skimmer 1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

mojo;230651 wrote: I've run ozone for years with good success. Inject into the skimmer. Skimmer just dumps back into sump - no carbon or anything. No headaches, no complaints from anyone visiting. Just good, clean water.

I shouldnt have commented because i have never dealt with ozone. I am just a firm believer in , the less the better. You could very well be right. If things are set up correctly and fail safe than they can be a great benefit. :yes:

Will, I ran it for years, with only a waste coillector with a carbon output. It should be no issues. If you smell oizone ( a bleachy, thunderstormy smell), then I would reconsider its use, but otherwise, just inject a little, and itll be worthwhile.

Now we got peoples attention. Come on Jeremy I know you have some great idea that I just wasnt paying attention to becuase of all that hard work I have been doing for you.

jmaneyapanda;230686 wrote: Will, I ran it for years, with only a waste coillector with a carbon output. It should be no issues. If you smell oizone ( a bleachy, thunderstormy smell), then I would reconsider its use, but otherwise, just inject a little, and itll be worthwhile.

Thats what I thought you said LOL. Maybe I will put a bag of carbon over the 1 gallon milk jug opening. And work on making a new one.

Hows your black and grey skills - you got any links ? all my work is color and looking for some quality bob tyrell type stuff if you got the skillz to pay the billz????????

chrisjet;230690 wrote: Hows your black and grey skills - you got any links ? all my work is color and looking for some quality bob tyrell type stuff if you got the skillz to pay the billz????????

He's ok. But, I blacked out when he was doing the work, and when I woke up, my belt buckle was undone, and I was really sore....

WILLIAM1;230689 wrote: Thats what I thought you said LOL. Maybe I will put a bag of carbon over the 1 gallon milk jug opening. And work on making a new one.

That would work too. Just a small filter bag over the open air. And, tahts even if you need it. Its such a msall amoutn dispersed into such a huge bubble column, I doubt you'll notice. remember, just set the ozonizer to like no more that 50%, that will be more than enough, I would guess.

jmaneyapanda;230691 wrote: He's ok. But, I blacked out when he was doing the work, and when I woke up, my belt buckle was undone, and I was really sore....

Ha , hopefully you wer not sore in the but !

I've used ozone for years and it's great. Just use carbon from where the air will escape and you should be okay.

Back