Who wants a tang?

wannabeeareefkeeper

Market
Reaction score
I'm curious to see whom has any Tangs in your tank. 1.) What size tank do you have and which specific tang(s) do you have? And now to the main question that I have in mind. 2.) Are you running your system without a UV sterilizer? 3.) How long have you have this setup running with the tang(s) without a UV sterilizer?

Wannabee

I have the following: Yellow Tang, Blue Hippo Tang and a Tomini Tang. All are in the 5" range. Originally they were in my 180 without UV but when I introduced a Powder Brown tang....it got ick and died along with a Purple Tang. I immediately installed a 40w UV to the tank along with serving medicated foods and have had no problems since. That's been about a year ago. I stopped the medicated foods after about 3 months of feeding twice a day.

Jeff, did you have the powder brown tang in a QT system before putting him in the display? I'm just researching for now on a possible future build and I want to get a tang or two. Trying to do the pros and cons of which way to go with or without a UV sterilizer. Anyone have any educational links to any studies related to UV sterilizers and tangs?

Wannabee

walterp1982;1040354 wrote: Garlic?
There's a link here at ARC about garlic. Have you read this? http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87919&highlight=garlic&page=2">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87919&highlight=garlic&page=2</a>

Wannabee

Great responses already. Please keep posting your setups here. I'm very curious on what others have to offer with their personal experiences. Please remember to include important information like tank size, specific tangs you have, and how long you've had your setup, and whether or not you have a UV running on your setup.

Wannabee

420g display
Achilles, Chevron, Sohal, Desjardini, Purple, Powder Blue, Blue Regal & Kole
I've always run a 114W UV on the system.

I might think about not running UV if I didn't have the Achilles, but that fish is super sensitive to ich. No other fish ever shows ich in my tank, but if I introduce a new fish from my QT or just do a large cleaning (i.e. introduce stress) my Achilles shows sign of ich for 12-24 hours. Nobody else does - including the blue regal. If I haven't cleaned my UV quartz sleeves in a while, it will last 36-48 hours, but if I clean them regularly - ich never stays on the Achilles over 24h.

Flame away, but my personal opinion is that very small populations of ich/crypto is in most of our tanks unless you don't have fish. Healthy fish just fight it off. I've just seen too many occurrences of proper QT technique or long fallow periods still produce minor infections like this on sensitive fish. The key is just to keep your fish as healthy as possible to not be susceptible and utilize UV to knock down the crypto population as much as possible for fish overly susceptible to ich.

75g (48x18x21) - Kole Tang & Yellow Tang, no UV, 2 yrs

60g (48x24x12) - Tomini Tang & Yellow Tang, no UV, under 1 yr

No UV here.... 150 gallon....

2 Blue Regal's 6"+
1 Yellow 5"+
1 Purple 5"+
1 Sailfin 6"+
1 Lavender 3"

Knock on wood..... No issues....

WannabeeaReefKeeper;1040355 wrote: Jeff, did you have the powder brown tang in a QT system before putting him in the display? I'm just researching for now on a possible future build and I want to get a tang or two. Trying to do the pros and cons of which way to go with or without a UV sterilizer. Anyone have any educational links to any studies related to UV sterilizers and tangs?

Wannabee

I did QT the PB before moving to the DT. What I didn't do was a dip before making the move. I think with tangs, even after being in QT it's best to dip. Just because it never showed any ick in QT doesn't mean the parasite doesn't exist. It just means there wasn't a stress factor to make it display itself. I will never ever run another tank without a UV especially if it has tangs.

I believe that if you look in either some Lounge or Reef Discussion archives, you will find plenty of information about running UV.

I had 156 gallon with a 150 gallon sump. Ran a 57 watt uv 50% of the time. I had 2 Yellow, Kole, Unicorn,Purple,Chocolate ,Desjardini sailfin, Scopas,Tenneti and a Vlamingi. I had a total of ten most of the time for around 5 years.
Don't remember ever having Ich.

grouper therapy;1040517 wrote: I had 156 gallon with a 150 gallon sump. Ran a 57 watt uv 50% of the time. I had 2 Yellow, Kole, Unicorn,Purple,Chocolate ,Desjardini sailfin, Scopas,Tenneti and a Vlamingi. I had a total of ten most of the time for around 5 years.
Don't remember ever having Ich.

Wish you would get that system set back up! I've got a monster (yet very beautiful) RBTA waiting on you! It's a least 14" around now, ugh!

I was running a UV filter part time for a few months, have a Tomini and a Yellow.

I tuned the UV sterilizer off because I thought that I might be killing off too much good with the bad, and my yellow tang has a couple of ich spots on him three weeks later.

:mad2::doh:

I probably have the cheapest UV of anyone in the club, a SunSun pond model because it was all I could afford. Since my 90 gallon was set up I've run the UV at night only. I originally had a Tomini Tang and Yellow Tang and never had ich. After the Yellow died suddenly with no symptoms of anything being wrong I tried a Power Brown, it had ich quickly and died, no other fish showed signs of ich.

I added another Yellow Tang and eventually got rid of the Tomini when it became aggressive and added a Blond Naso. I keep Metro and Focus on hand and do add it to frozen food on occasion. I also soak frozen food in garlic once a week.

UV's are a sore spot with a lot of reefers. A pricier model is the only thing missing from my system that has been running for almost two years. Since I've not had any major issues t has not been on my radar.

220 from a couple years ago had
PT, Regal, Yellow, - no UV 5 years.

265 couple months old
Regal, Yellow - no uv... and never will
Regal was the only one i didnt drop in Tap water before i dropped him in the tank and ended up with ich 5 days later. I just let him fight it off.

Unless they arent eating or start looking lethargic, i let nature do it's thing in such a big DT. If i had a 75 or less, I'd get nervous.

Neither setup had quarantine.

btw i am looking for a purple tang that is smallish.

210gal
Dirt cheap green algae killing machine uv on standby
No qt in 2+ years

Dussumieri 6"
Powder blue 5"
Desjardini 5"
Blonde naso 5"
Hippo 4"
Kole 3"
Three yellow tangs 3" each

DavidinGA;1041198 wrote: 210gal
Dirt cheap green algae killing machine uv on standby
No qt in 2+ years

Dussumieri 6"
Powder blue 5"
Desjardini 5"
Blonde naso 5"
Hippo 4"
Kole 3"
Three yellow tangs 3" each

"Dirt cheap green algae killing machine uv on standby" What is this? What is the price? Any pictures would be appreciated?

Wannabee

Back