Wild Caught Fish Not Eating...

cedzaquaddiction

Market
Reaction score
Need your help ladies and gentlemen...

I have a newly acquired Swallowtail Angelfish. I've been looking for this species of fish for quite a while now. It was a special order that the store did just for me and just for this fish.

She is beautiful... Anyway: Normally, with fish purchased from any store, they are eating within hours of being in my QT tank.

That wasn't the case for this one. I purchased the fish this Tuesday, and haven't seen her eat at all since then. Upon going back to the store to ask their advice, I learned that the fish was actually wild-caught not tank-raised or bred, and may have been in the ocean literally 2 days before they received it (i have my opinions on that, and they aren't all good). She is in QT now, and none of the other fish are harrassing her or anything, and I've tried everything from pellets, to flakes, to Nori (with and without garlic), to mysis, to plankton-type feed, and finally to finely chopped raw shrimp and squid. When the food hits the water, she swims around like she's excited, but, she simpy doesn't eat (even when the big human looking figure outside of the aquarium isn't around). Not even any response to target feeding...

Starting to get worried as it has been a couple of days, and she hasn't come around yet. Some days she spends the whole day in hiding, some days she is out and about...

I'm stuck with her now, and want to do my best for her. Open to suggestions...

Thanks all!!!

I just googled that... Prawn roe, huh? I've tried cyclopeeze, but not nurtamar. I'll see if the LFS has some. They are letting me sample different foods for free right now...

Edit: Thanks...

If you have a Asian Market in your area, check there. That is basically the same Roe used for making Sushi. I can say this, my fish loved it. It was the only thing I could get my Green Manderin to eat.

Almost all angels are wild caught - very common.

With angels, I always put some live rock in QT with them. Most pick and graze 100% in the wild. Give them something familiar to help them out and get a little bit of food in their belly while you transition them to prepared foods. Mysis, cyclopeeze, chopped raw shrimp & Rod's food has been what I've used with most success to get them to acclimate over. If they don't start eating that within 2 days (you're past that now), I soak those foods in garlic and entice. You can get both from LFS.

I do the same for delicate tangs and butterflies with good success as well.

Once you get them feeding well on that diet, you can start the transition over to pellet and flake if you want.

swallowtails are plantonovors like anthias. Try small foods and a good power head to keep is suspended and moving will help as well.

If all else fails try live brine.

They also dont like bright light since they are from so deep, so if they are newly caught try lowering the lighting for a while till they get used to it.

Nutrimar is sold at Marine designs without doubt. Have my fingers crossed for you and the new angel.

Thanks to all for your comments. Sorry for the late reply, but I've been busy today doing further preparation for this fish. I've also posted this on another forum just for coverage's sake. The more expert opinions, the better, right?

What I'm toying with now is should I set up a separate tank for just the angel for a while? I have a 20 long and some extra live sand and some leftover LR that I can add to simulate the natural habitat a little more. Perhaps the transition from ocean to QT with only PVC is too much shock?

Well, what I've learned so far from all of you all...

- This particular angel is especially shy of brighter lights.
- Continue with the plankton type foods
- Continue to soak Nori in garlic and place in tank. I'll space it out around tank to stimulate grazing in the wild
- Most angels are wild caught. I was just under the assumption that they spend some time in a tank before they make it to the consumer. Didn't expect it to be this fresh from the ocean. I'll bet this is a traumatic time for the fish.
- I actually brought a clam from the grocery store, but chickened out and fed it to my CUC in my DT. Everything except the angel enjoyed the raw squid, though...
- Going to try my hand at the live brine shrimp after stuffing them with something healthy for the fish.
- Last, but not least: BE PATIENT!!! I was worried that 3 days was too long for the fish to go without eating. It can go longer without eating with no harm? Possibly a week or two?

Thanks so much for all of your support!!!

Edit: Should I leave it in the QT with the other fish so it can settle in with them, or separate it out into a separate tank? (None of the current fish harass her.)

I'd try some live california blackworms. I haven't seen a healthy fish that can resist them.

I commend you for the obvious commitment to this fish and the concern that you are demonstrating. There a lots of people around here that know a lot more than me when it comes to fish care but I suspect that when he/she gets hungry enough it will start to eat. Keep up the good effort and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks so much everybody for the posts. I'm going to try target feeding her today a mixture of garlic soaked mysis, finely shredded nori, and clyopeeze with the lights off. Hopefully the ambient light from the room will be enough for her to see the food, and not be too bright to scare her into hiding.

Also may travel to some other LFS's to see if I can acquire some live brine shrimp and/or blackworms...

Thanks all!!!

CedzAquAddiction;811248 wrote: Need your help ladies and gentlemen...

I have a newly acquired Swallowtail Angelfish. I've been looking for this species of fish for quite a while now. It was a special order that the store did just for me and just for this fish.

She is beautiful... Anyway: Normally, with fish purchased from any store, they are eating within hours of being in my QT tank.

That wasn't the case for this one. I purchased the fish this Tuesday, and haven't seen her eat at all since then. Upon going back to the store to ask their advice, I learned that the fish was actually wild-caught not tank-raised or bred, and may have been in the ocean literally 2 days before they received it (i have my opinions on that, and they aren't all good). She is in QT now, and none of the other fish are harrassing her or anything, and I've tried everything from pellets, to flakes, to Nori (with and without garlic), to mysis, to plankton-type feed, and finally to finely chopped raw shrimp and squid. When the food hits the water, she swims around like she's excited, but, she simpy doesn't eat (even when the big human looking figure outside of the aquarium isn't around). Not even any response to target feeding...

Starting to get worried as it has been a couple of days, and she hasn't come around yet. Some days she spends the whole day in hiding, some days she is out and about...

I'm stuck with her now, and want to do my best for her. Open to suggestions...

Thanks all!!!

FWIW, you seem to be implying that you were perhaps misled into buying a wild caught fish? Bear in mind, the VAST majority of the fish we have in our marine aquariums are wild caught. Fish like clowns and cardinals, and some dottybacks are captive bred, but we havent mastered the technology for massive captive breeding in marines like we have in freshwater. So, dont get hung up on it being wild caught. NO ONE is captive breeding genicanthus angels. At least thats publicly known....;)

However, something to consider is the "chain of custody" as you mentioned. Fish stores that sell fish fish out of the ocean, no less fresh out of the shipment bag are not only risking that fishes life and your money, but also the rest of the fish you can house them with.

As mentioned, I would try some very oily and "smelly" foods to try to licit a feeding response. Some of which has been mentioned here already. I would consider trying an appetite stimulant. And minimizing stress. In your predicament, thats all you an do.

Acroholic;811344 wrote: I'd try some live california blackworms. I haven't seen a healthy fish that can resist them.

+1

If you can't find a sponsor store with them, you may order them from here-

http://www.aquaticfoods.com/worms.html">http://www.aquaticfoods.com/worms.html</a>

You might want to consider splitting an order with someone, if you have them shipped.

Great, and thanks for all of your help. Do you all think I should take her out of the QT as well, and place her in a tank by herself so I can concentrate the target feeding, or would that stress her more and further cause her not to eat for even longer?

Thanks again!!!

======================================================
jmaneyapanda;811401 wrote: FWIW, you seem to be implying that you were perhaps misled into buying a wild caught fish? Bear in mind, the VAST majority of the fish we have in our marine aquariums are wild caught. Fish like clowns and cardinals, and some dottybacks are captive bred, but we havent mastered the technology for massive captive breeding in marines like we have in freshwater. So, dont get hung up on it being wild caught. NO ONE is captive breeding genicanthus angels. At least thats publicly known....;)

However, something to consider is the "chain of custody" as you mentioned. Fish stores that sell fish fish out of the ocean, no less fresh out of the shipment bag are not only risking that fishes life and your money, but also the rest of the fish you can house them with.

As mentioned, I would try some very oily and "smelly" foods to try to licit a feeding response. Some of which has been mentioned here already. I would consider trying an appetite stimulant. And minimizing stress. In your predicament, thats all you an do.

Good point, and completely understood. Thanks for your reply. Not doubting that the majority of fish are wild caught. I was just surprised to find out that the fish made it to my tank that quickly from being in the ocean. I figured that my LFS purchased her from a supplier that had her in a tank already which would have made her more acclimated to tank life. It's confusing enough for a fish to come from a supplier that had her in a tank previously. I can just imagine how confusing it is to make the first leap from the ocean to a tank.

I'm going to keep at it. Thanks all!!!

Edit: My LFS had no live foods at all. I'm going to try some of the links suggested, and see how quickly I can get some nutramar and blackworms here...

Alright... Well, I came back into my office to see her laying by the powerhead in my QT tank. She is not dead yet, but, her swimming is labored, and her mouth and nose are turning dark. I feel like I'm watching her die regardless of my efforts. I'm not sure if she'll make it through the night. Any last minute advice you all can offer would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

I feel sadly responsible...
2012-11-10_19-22-56_730.jpg
alt="" />

photobucket-11904-1352597065502.jpg
alt="" />

Again, thanks for all of your help and support thus far...

Back