Winter Evaporation

obelix

Market
Reaction score
I've noticed over the past 3 weeks I'm going through 2x the RODI water as I was during the summer. I know I don't have a leak because my SG has not changed and would be dropping if I was just filling RODI water on top of a leak. The only thing I can figure is that the house heater is dropping the humidity and it's just sucking the moisture off the topp of my aquarium. I have a fan in my canopy so I'm thinking the motion of the low humidity air over the water is just sucking the water out of my aquarium. I have went from about 30-35 gallons evaporated/week to about 60..

I guess, is there anything I can do about it.. I don't want to cut the fan off and have the 1000w of halides go unvented.

obelix;252779 wrote: The only thing I can figure is that the house heater is dropping the humidity and it's just sucking the moisture off the topp of my aquarium

I think you are exactly right. My evap has gone up some as well.

I don't use a heater, my temperature stays around 75 at it's lowest and 79 at it's highest.. I have noticed my chiller doesn't run as much as it has in the winter. I was actually thinking about putting my heater back in the tank to get the temperature up to 76.. I'm very leary about turning off my fan in the canopy and have it turn into an oven and damage the ballasts which are in the canopy as well..

obelix;252810 wrote: I don't use a heater, my temperature stays around 75 at it's lowest and 79 at it's highest.. I have noticed my chiller doesn't run as much as it has in the winter. I was actually thinking about putting my heater back in the tank to get the temperature up to 76.. I'm very leary about turning off my fan in the canopy and have it turn into an oven and damage the ballasts which are in the canopy as well..

Your ballasts are in the canopy? That's not a good idea.

same here -- the air is very dry using natural gas to heat homes.

Back