Winter Temp Swing

nickh06

Market
Reaction score
So I check my phone this morning and I have a text from my apex telling me that my tank has dropped to 76.5 degrees. I have the apex set to keep my tank from 77.5-78.5 with no problems thus far. I imagine my basement got pretty chilly last night with the arctic freeze. I currently run 1 eheim jager 200w (in the display) and 1 150w neotherm heater in the sump. This ever happen to anyone else? I don't think the heaters could keep up with the temp drop in the room. Basement usually stays around 62 degrees but I'm sure it was down in the 50's last night.

Good idea, I thought about turning my lights on but don't think the LED's would do much haha. I just ordered a 300 w jager so maybe that upgrade will get the job done. Heater placement may need to be looked at as well.

Yeah, looked like mine struggled just a little bit this morning. Dropped about .5 lower than normal. I need to put my second heater in. Removed it for a QT and never got it back in...

I have 3 heaters and still hit 74 degrees this morning. Keep getting the text alerts, turned my lights on and had wife put another heater in the sump. Hopefully I don't have any coral losses :/

I am cycling my tank and I had he same issue. Mine got down to 73.7 and just started to tick up. I had a large heater that died and I guess my small 300W not enough for 600 gal if it gets below 10deg here.

Thankfully I have an empty tank

Fixing to head back to see how my tank fared. I did not see any coral problems this morning but who knows.

Untitled_zps09b9cebc.png
alt="" /></a>

No issues here

russ;1006709 wrote: I am cycling my tank and I had he same issue. Mine got down to 73.7 and just started to tick up. I had a large heater that died and I guess my small 300W not enough for 600 gal if it gets below 10deg here.

Thankfully I have an empty tank

600 gal???? wow :eek:

May have to check that out, looks like you are close by.

I had the same problem with my sump in the basement.

You can try insulating the sump with those sheets of pink foam and insulating the pipe or just add more heaters.

EnderG60;1006743 wrote: I had the same problem with my sump in the basement.

You can try insulating the sump with those sheets of pink foam and insulating the pipe or just add more heaters.

thanks! Will give it a try

Mine can drop to the mid 73's, but I don't worry too much about it. I don't use heaters, so I generally end up turning on the halides sooner than they'd normally come on.

On nights when it's going to be really cold, like now, I put the lid on the return section of my sump, which seems to insulate quite well and keep the temps up (@ 75). If I forget, my Apex will tell me when I'm below 74.

Two weeks ago I bought larger heaters just for this reason. Funny thing is I couldn't keep it cool enough in the summer with out fans and as soon as it started getting really cold (thermostat downstairs programmed to drop at night) my heater was running all night struggling to keep it at 79.
I plugged both larger heaters into the same Apex outlet and now its steady eddy...

russ;1006760 wrote: what is the largest heater you can have on an EB8?

Not sure there's a limit but you could check products spec's or someone on the Nepturn fourm would surely know.

russ;1006764 wrote: isn't there an amp limit on the EB8 and EB4?

The EnergyBar 8 provides eight switched 120V outlets. They are numbered 1 through 8 as illustrated on the
device. Outlets 1-3 and 5-7 are switched with silent solid state devices and can power items up to 5 amps
each. Outlets 4 and 8 are switched with relays and can power items up to 10 amps each. The total current
draw for all active outlets must be less than 15 amps.

Straight from their manual.

russ;1006760 wrote: what is the largest heater you can have on an EB8?

RedStang gave you the specs. It really depends on what else you are running on the EB8 with the heater(s), but an EB8 can take a fairly large load.

The EB8 that my 3 - 250W heaters run on (750W total) also runs some decent sized pumps. The 3 heaters, Reeflo Hammerhead, Iwaki MD100, Iwaki MD70 and Panworld 30x draw 13 amps when all running on their EB8.

The energy bar can handle 15A. Amps times volts gives you watts so at 120 volt it can handle up to 1800 wats across all outlets. Each outlet can carry 5 amps at 120 volts so that would be 600 watts on each outlet. Never a good thing to load it to the max though.

If you need to switch something with a greater load, you could do it with a definite purpose contactor that in turn is controlled by the apex outlet.

Back