Workhorse 5 T-5 ballast

reefknight

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to obtain a Workhorse 5 ballast? Well anywhere that won't take a week to get delivered?

After aquascping my tank tonight I placed my canopy back onto the tank and went to turn on my T-5's to see how it looks and maybe a photo or two. The T-5's won't come on via my controller. Ok, maybe I miswired my ACIII & Lunar Sim while reattaching the canopy, nope. Unplugged everything and removed my AB Oceanlight from the canopy, remove the side fin and what fo I smell, electrical "hot" wires. Test the ballast, ziltch. So it's dead.

Has anyone ever replaced one of these ballasts in this or similar fixture? Shouldn't I just be able to match up the existing wire colors with the new ones and screw them into the connectors? Any thoughts or opinions would be great as Ihave never done this, and I am not an electrician by trade. Although I think many of could be considered "Jacks of all trades, masters at none". Works for me however...

a> he should have them in stock he is a local sponser

Yeah, I did a "google" search and saw Aquabuys on there first. Unfortunatley he doesn't have any in stock at the moment. If he had of, I would have jumped for them right away. No one else in the state?

http://reeftanklighting.com/">http://reeftanklighting.com/</a>

They are in state. Doug is a good guy and runs the business as a side venture.

FWIW, id concider replacing Workhorse with a smart start ballast, standard or a Ice Caps. Smart start, soft starts your lamps, and shut down if they detect a short.

Yeah, but since I am far from an electrician I was looking for a direct replacement. I figured the wires should all still be the same color and all I would have to do is attach them in order. Also since this fits in the fixture, under the reflector, I'm not sure anything else would fit. I would like to have the smart start features, but may have to wait until I decide to do something else with the lighting.

Back