Worried about Wrasse

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
This guy has been hiding for 5 solid days. I believe its ate a little when I've got food close enough to him to grab it without coming out but it hasn't had much.

After a lot of reading it seems normal for wrasse's to hide a few days but I couldn't find anything about how long is to long. I was also wondering if there is anything I can do to help it feel more comfortable?

Thanks

Lubbock's Wrasse
760a4b734e47cfb0f1223ad9a16f3c0e_zps4a4ab480.jpg
alt="" />

I didn't see mine for almost two weeks after putting him in I've heard it's normal

Was yours a Lubbock? I read its very normal for Leopards and it mentioned a few others. Is this normal for all wrasse?
Is there something I should be doing besides leaving him alone?
Thanks

it doesn't look happy! and it doesn't look like you have a fine grain sand bed, either to sleep in.

I don't think so. Before my blue sided fairy wrasse I had a 6 line that (that ended up carpet surfing Rip. I think he was living off brissel worms ) But he stayed in the sand for almost a month than when I came up to the tank he'd dive in the sand. I'm pretty sure it's normal for those crazy fish.

mysterybox;946796 wrote: it doesn't look happy! and it doesn't look like you have a fine grain sand bed, either to sleep in.

Your right, it looks scared to death :)sad:

It's Caribbean Pink, is this not fine enough for them?

Oh I've never had fine sand bed I don't like like. Maybe that's why my went carpet surfing

seanb600;946802 wrote: Oh I've never had fine sand bed I don't like like. Maybe that's why my went carpet surfing

Wrasse are jumpers I'm sure it had nothing to do with your sand bed. You need a cover for wrasse, always!

I had mine for 3 years... Not really sure what it was, wrasse/parrot fish.. But it would burrow in the sand... To bad the tank crashed.. Really liked that fish. And i didn't have sand it was crushed coral. always seemed happy.

JC_k;946811 wrote: I had mine for 3 years... Not really sure what it was, wrasse/parrot fish.. But it would burrow in the sand... To bad the tank crashed.. Really liked that fish. And i didn't have sand it was crushed coral. always seemed happy.

Good to know about the crushed coral. Ralf never answered but I thought my sand was acceptable for wrasse (I hope so).

Hey Deb it looks scared. Any other Male Wrasses in there with it.
I had a female flame wrasse that was great I added a Male Nakko wrasse and she never would come out. I sat and watched late one night and everytime she would come out the Nakko would chase her back in her little spot. I had to eventually catch the Nakko and move him and I added a Male Flame wrasse and she has been out ever since. This happened with a Lambouti wrasse I have and a Golden Ramboid also. I usually just put one in a acclimation box for 4-5 days inside the tank and see if the others attack at it or just leave it alone and let them get the feel for the other fish. It works most of the time but I have had some bullys that I ended up moving to my Bully Tank : )

Crushed coral is not considered a good substrate for wrasses, it can break their beak, then they starve to death! A more sandy formular with rounder grains will allow them to slide into it without the friction. Holley:yes:

Camellia;946824 wrote: Good to know about the crushed coral. Ralf never answered but I thought my sand was acceptable for wrasse (I hope so).

Shane,
No other wrasse. I have a Blacker Ice pair, blue Mandarin, fire fish and a pair of small chromis.
It has moved once grabbed a bite to eat, then went to the other side of the tank under a rock. It hasn't ate that I know of in two to three days. I didn't see anything bothering it. The Mandarin swims right next to it eating. I've watched almost every night and I've never seen it come out. Think I should still try and remove it for a few days? Thanks

I read these don't sleep in the sand but do like rock for shade and that's where it is now.

Holly, is my Caribbean pink sand acceptable for wrasse in general?

Thanks

Camellia;946927 wrote: Shane,
No other wrasse. I have a Blacker Ice pair, blue Mandarin, fire fish and a pair of small chromis.
It has moved once grabbed a bite to eat, then went to the other side of the tank under a rock. It hasn't ate that I know of in two to three days. I didn't see anything bothering it. The Mandarin swims right next to it eating. I've watched almost every night and I've never seen it come out. Think I should still try and remove it for a few days? Thanks

I read these don't sleep in the sand but do like rock for shade and that's where it is now.

Holly, is my Caribbean pink sand acceptable for wrasse in general?

Thanks

It looks like all these fish would get along just fine. It may just be scared to come out and it might take a week or two for it to become comfortable.

if it's not a sand dweller, (it's not), your sand should be fine. I sometimes forget that not all wrasses sleep in the sand, lol.

mysterybox;946940 wrote: if it's not a sand dweller, (it's not), your sand should be fine. I sometimes forget that not all wrasses sleep in the sand, lol.

LOL yeah fairies and flashers aren't sand sleepers

Back