Would anyone visit a fish store in Calhoun, Ga?

mshady

Reaction score
I am thinking of opening a fish store in Calhoun which is located on interstate 75 almost exactly halfway between Atlanta and Chattanooga, Tn. I am trying see if I would have enough hobbyists in the area to support a good fish store. I have to drive at least 45 minutes just to get to a Petco in an emergency. But a good fish store is over an hour away from me. I have been in the hobby for 16 years and that’s a lot of long trips to a fish store. Please tell me what you think.

I live close and think its a great idea. I can help with the set up if you need it. I know there's a few other members in this area that wouldn't mind a shorter drive.

What do you plan on selling/providing?

As long as your overhead is low, then yea. I would test a facebook page (I.E Calhoun Fish Store) and see how many hits you get for corals, service and the like. How many people do you know and how prominent are you in the community?

Probably have better luck maintaining a giant reef tank and selling the corals on R2R or ebay. Most stores make their money through maintenance and probably water.

Most everything can be bought online now, even corals. However, most people go for the experience and probably to see the true condition of the fish/coral for issues.

Can get online - rodi, salt, chemicals, food, tools, equipment, live rock, corals, fish.

In store - experience, supporting your local economy, wysiwyg, tribal knowledge, service/guidance, sell your frag/corals to them, bumping into other people in the hobby. If your customer has a wife and/or kids it's about the experience and options. You get to see new things you want firsthand.

Depends on if you are for profitability or pleasure. That goes for any business though, in this case perishable goods.

I live in Dallas, Calhoun is a manageable drive for me. I would visit.

IMO ROME would be a MUCH better location. Its in the same general area, but I think you'd find more clients in the Rome area than Calhoun. That plus thats where I am ::) haha

Back