Would I benefit from a reef controller of some kind? Or not so much...

davidinga

Market
Reaction score
Long story short I was getting ready to buy a ranco temp controller and so after seeing the prices for those I started considering a whole system controller of some type. The problem I see is that much of what a controller can do I already have being done (or so I think).

Here is what I have (I'll try to list everything electronic so you can tell me if I would benefit from a controller):

210gal dt w/ 75gal sump

sro3000 skimmer

eheim 1262 return pump

2 wp40 wavemakers (these have their own controller but they can't be turned off for say at night or for more than the 10 minutes where you have to physically press the "feed" button)

A 300w and a 125w jager heater (need controller for these)

2 Reefbreeder Photon 32's LED's (these both are fully programmable on a timer cycle already)

1 ATO unit from autotopoff.com (this is already done automatically and I don't know what more a controller could do for it - ?) I imagine a controller might be able to add an alarm so I know when my ato container source is getting low and/or an alarm if my ato float gets stuck and the sump level rises to high.

Two Little Fishies 150 reactor and mini-jet 606 (I'm running gfo right now but I don't know that this will be run permanently)

Clamp light from home depot and cfo bulb for fuge light (it's on 24/7)

I manually test for pH, salinity, nitrate, cal, mag, alk, etc.

With what I have what would I gain in a controller and which controller would you suggest?

Thanks
:up:

I like my controller for my heater, temp monitoring, and turning things off for basic maintenance. its super easy with my phone to turn my skimmer off. i'm sure i'll eventually expand upon what i do with my controller

i have the Apex Jr and it does all that i need. i have purchased a VDM and EB8 module in addition. i maybe should have bought the next one up but oh well

if you're running a 210 g tank then I can't see ANY reason not to have a controller. There are several out there that people love. I run a Reefkeeper and it works just fine. Some will like others ..

IMO get one

Kirkwood's great advice to me........automate as much stuff as you can if you're a reefer with children. I've seen a few people drop out when the stork visited their house because they didn't have the time or energy to maintain their reef and their kids.

DavidinGA;872291 wrote: If the kids were older I'd make them get a job and buy me a controller :eek:

I think you can ship them to China to skirt that law.

DavidinGA;872291 wrote: If the kids were older I'd make them get a job and buy me a controller :eek:

There ya go!

Fwiw, I have my 210 as automated as possible, and I do use an apex to do that.

I do water changes, feed, and fill the top off when it gets low. O yeah, and pick up frags that the fish like to rearrange.

Edit: The controller worries about when to turn lights off or on, temp, ph in ca reactor, monitoring the ph in the tank etc.... Makes less work and testing for me.

Yeah, Man. Get a controller. I have an Apex, and have mine controlling just about everything that I could figure out so far... I'm working on automating my water changes as we speak.

Aside from the limitless control, the monitoring itself gives peace of mind enough to justify the price (especially since you have kids that can get their hands on stuff).

I agree with the statement of automate as much as possible. Maintenance on these tanks can get out of hand, and the tanks will ultimately get neglected if higher priorities arise. It's just good to know that my tank can take care of itself if I end up out of town for a couple of days. And it's equally good that I can monitor it via my Droid and Ipad when I'm away. You can even get emails or text messages if something gets out of whack...

Example: Your heater malfunctions, and stays on. Your tank can email you and let you know that your temperature is higher than normal. Simply, turn off your heater remotely until you can get home and see what the problem is.
Without a controller, you can return home to a seafood gumbo surprise...

I picked up a Reef Angel a couple weeks ago and haven't regretted it for a second. If you don't care about wireless connectivity you are in for $250 with 8 controllable outlets or $400 with wifi.

So your temp controller will shut off your heaters if they go berzerk. I agree that is likely the most common way to nuke a tank - gross mechanical malfunction. But what if you are out of town and your heaters are fine but your A/C in the house breaks? All of a sudden your tank is creeping up a degree or more per day. #1 you don't know your tank temp is increasing and #2 your temp controller can do nothing about it. I have 3 temperature probs currently running - 1 in my tank, 1 in the canopy by the lights, and 1 in the room. If my A/C blows I would see my room temperature reading too high and correct the problem before I had issues.

That is just 1 example. There are many more. Like many have said before, it is an insurance policy. For me it is dependant upon the cost of the tank inhabitants that you are protecting.

It will be one of the best investments you will make for your system. Go for it.

Ripped Tide;872287 wrote: Sell the kids, buy a controller!

+100000000. I have three for sale right now. Like new, never washed a dish, never cleaned a room, only talk back if spoken too. What more could you ask for? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdnelson99;872362 wrote: +100000000. I have three for sale right now. Like new, never washed a dish, never cleaned a room, only talk back if spoken too. What more could you ask for? :)

If I were you, I'd be asking them how they like the new apartment that they are about to move in to!

Ripped Tide;872379 wrote: If I were you, I'd be asking them how they like the new apartment that they are about to move in to!

LOL. But then I would have to listen to my wife say "I want a baby". At 53 that ain't happening!!!!!!

The baby thing is a bluff! I'd call that bluff. Plus, I'm sure you don't mind the extra practice.

Ripped Tide;872385 wrote: The baby thing is a bluff! I'd call that bluff. Plus, I'm sure you don't mind the extra practice.

The joke would be on her. I took care of that problem 16 years ago. Right after #3. :)

Back