Would I benefit from a reef controller of some kind? Or not so much...

Long story short, if you think you may need a Controller for your aquarium, a vasectomy may be a better idea!

rdnelson99;872387 wrote: The joke would be on her. I took care of that problem 16 years ago. Right after #3. :)

Ripped Tide;872394 wrote: Long story short, if you think you may need a Controller for your aquarium, a vasectomy may be a better idea!

well that escalated quickly. but back on topic a controller is the best thing you can buy for your tank and the possibilities are limitless with the right controller. you can set up automated feeding, water changes, temp., power outage procedures. etc etc. and with the apex you can have over 200 modules so you can run several different tanks on one controller

Picoreefguy;872396 wrote: well that escalated quickly. but back on topic a controller is the best thing you can buy for your tank and the possibilities are limitless with the right controller. you can set up automated feeding, water changes, temp., power outage procedures. etc etc. and with the apex you can have over 200 modules so you can run several different tanks on one controller

Kill joy. LOL. But to contribute to the thread, had I had an extra $350 earlier tonight I would have pounced on the apex setup in a thread posted tonight. I would love to have one but I fear it will be a while for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirkwood;872323 wrote: I picked up a Reef Angel a couple weeks ago and haven't regretted it for a second. If you don't care about wireless connectivity you are in for $250 with 8 controllable outlets or $400 with wifi.

So your temp controller will shut off your heaters if they go berzerk. I agree that is likely the most common way to nuke a tank - gross mechanical malfunction. But what if you are out of town and your heaters are fine but your A/C in the house breaks? All of a sudden your tank is creeping up a degree or more per day. #1 you don't know your tank temp is increasing and #2 your temp controller can do nothing about it. I have 3 temperature probs currently running - 1 in my tank, 1 in the canopy by the lights, and 1 in the room. If my A/C blows I would see my room temperature reading too high and correct the problem before I had issues.

That is just 1 example. There are many more. Like many have said before, it is an insurance policy. For me it is dependant upon the cost of the tank inhabitants that you are protecting.

So without the wireless module you have to use the headunit for everything or can you hardwire to a laptop or something?

DavidinGA;875417 wrote: So without the wireless module you have to use the headunit for everything or can you hardwire to a laptop or something?

Yes you would use the headunit. I am not sure about hardwiring to a laptop. The wireless module is worth every penny though

??? I may be reading this wrong... The wireless module isn't necessary to use a laptop or smartphone. I have a wireless module that I'm not using at all. I just had to hardwire my apex unit to my wireless router. From there, I can access all controls wirelessly through my wireless router (and port forwarding for my smartphone and ipad)...

Again, forgive me if I have read this wrong...

CedzAquAddiction;875689 wrote: ??? I may be reading this wrong... The wireless module isn't necessary to use a laptop or smartphone. I have a wireless module that I'm not using at all. I just had to hardwire my apex unit to my wireless router. From there, I can access all controls wirelessly through my wireless router (and port forwarding for my smartphone and ipad)...

Again, forgive me if I have read this wrong...

It is needed when you can't route a patch cord from the base unit to the router. In your case, you are hardwired to the router and then go wireless from there.

Wireless net adapters are relatively cheap. You just plug the Ethernet cord from it to your apex. A controller is worth its weight in gold IMO possibilities are just about endless with them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Ripped Tide;872394 wrote: Long story short, if you think you may need a Controller for your aquarium, a vasectomy may be a better idea!

Lol! It's hard to argue with logic like that!

rdnelson99;875706 wrote: It is needed when you can't route a patch cord from the base unit to the router. In your case, you are hardwired to the router and then go wireless from there.

Agreed...

Edit:
cj22009;875745 wrote: Wireless net adapters are relatively cheap. You just plug the Ethernet cord from it to your apex. A controller is worth its weight in gold IMO possibilities are just about endless with them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

And agreed...

my five year old can offer her services retrieving frags, and putting snails back in that climb too far out. (she never resists getting her arm in the tank.

I knew I wanted a controller before I had my first fish or coral.

So far, it's paid for it's self at least once.

I have a Red Sea Max with a closed canopy.
The rear vent/cooling fan decided to pop a fuse for some unknown reason.
With the canopy closed and all of the filtration, circulation & skimmer pumps being in the water, the tank temp hit 83 degrees and fired off the alarm, text message to my phone as well as an email message.

We quickly bagged ice and started floating it as well as opened the canopy.

I ran off to Radio Shack and bought a bag of replacement fuses and got the temp back down.

Since then, it's helped me confirm salinity, PH, temps. I get an email if the PH drops too low or goes too high (never happens) and I can, from anywhere, have it give the tank a dose and bring the PH back up.

I hope to have it setup to do a water change at the press of a button.

And the auto feed is nice too.

When we go on vacation, I do not have to worry about my neighbor doing something stupid with the tank. Just toss some food at the dog and the cat and leave the tank alone. I can feed, dose and change water from the beach (600 miles away). Add in an IP camera and I can look in on the fish and corals just fun chits and grins.

Danielll;875884 wrote: my five year old can offer her services retrieving frags, and putting snails back in that climb too far out. (she never resists getting her arm in the tank.

I am not sure why i posted this... I think i somehow posted to the wrong forum.
I am however in the market for a controller, but I have a Radion/Vortech and I don't need a controller for these, I mostly want to monitor ph, salinity, ATO, and temp, and maybe a automtic doser. Seems 400-500 for just these is a hard trigger to pull.

Back