WOW its cold out there! Any power losses yet?

DiefsReef

Supporting
Reaction score
We knew it was coming but wow the real deal is Chilly!
I have a home generator but its down at the moment with a bad controller board.
Yesterday I bought the biggest portable generator the Depot had, a bunch of cords (which I had to run all over the place to find) and a couple tanks of fuel.
Got it setup and tested so if we lost power I'd be ready.
At around 3:20 am, I hear the tanks check valves hammer in place and the phone starts chattering with all the alarms going off. It jolts me awake and I jump into action and out of bed so I can run to the fire so to speak. Before I can even get fully dressed the power comes back on. Woohoo I'm saved from braving the cold at 3:30 in the morning but I spend the next few hours trying to go back to sleep just knowing it was going to happen at any time.

Expensive day yesterday but the alternative is way to bad to even think about.

Everything good here. I took my daughter out for donuts and a target run this morning. There was some icy spots. They had the 75 express lanes closed this morning. I assume use to ice

No power outage, but we had our gas cut off on Tuesday. Moved into our new house in Oct and I asked the owner and property manager if I needed to transfer natural gas over. They said no. The stove was electric and we had hot water and heat so I never thought twice about it. Someone came out Tuesday and turned it off and put a lock on it while I was at work. Got home and thought it was just an old unit and it gave up trying to heat out old, poorly insulated home.

Guy came out Wed to look at it, told us it had been shut off and locked. Called a company, explained my situation, and the lady who set my service up said someone would be over Thursday between 8am-noon. My wife called back asking if there was any way someone could come that day, and they informed her our appointment had been scheduled for the 27th.

I spent almost 4 hours on the phone, being placed on hold for 15-20 min at a time, just to be hung up on. Over and over. We got a note from our 16 month old daughter’s pediatrician that it was a medical emergency and we needed it turned on immediately. I finally got a supervisor’s supervisor on the phone and he was able to contact the company that does the turn ons/offs, got an override, and someone would be coming out Thursday, but under the condition that someone could show up between 8am and midnight to turn it on.

Someone finally showed up at 6:50pm last night and turned it back on for us. Luckily I had a second heater laying around from my old 36g freshwater tank and was able to keep my tank a stable temp with the house dropping down below 60 degrees.

No power outage, but we had our gas cut off on Tuesday. Moved into our new house in Oct and I asked the owner and property manager if I needed to transfer natural gas over. They said no. The stove was electric and we had hot water and heat so I never thought twice about it. Someone came out Tuesday and turned it off and put a lock on it while I was at work. Got home and thought it was just an old unit and it gave up trying to heat out old, poorly insulated home.

Guy came out Wed to look at it, told us it had been shut off and locked. Called a company, explained my situation, and the lady who set my service up said someone would be over Thursday between 8am-noon. My wife called back asking if there was any way someone could come that day, and they informed her our appointment had been scheduled for the 27th.

I spent almost 4 hours on the phone, being placed on hold for 15-20 min at a time, just to be hung up on. Over and over. We got a note from our 16 month old daughter’s pediatrician that it was a medical emergency and we needed it turned on immediately. I finally got a supervisor’s supervisor on the phone and he was able to contact the company that does the turn ons/offs, got an override, and someone would be coming out Thursday, but under the condition that someone could show up between 8am and midnight to turn it on.

Someone finally showed up at 6:50pm last night and turned it back on for us. Luckily I had a second heater laying around from my old 36g freshwater tank and was able to keep my tank a stable temp with the house dropping down below 60 degrees.
Wow, glad you finally got it back on.

Wow, glad you finally got it back on.

Yeah, Glad you got it back on. I was gonna recommend a bolt cutter or a cutoff wheel on a grinder.

No power issues... yet?
But I woke up to the discharge pump getting locked up in my waste container While making water... figure somewhere around 50-75 gallons on the floor. sigh. 😖
1000001104.jpg

Man I was out from 2 am till 5pm and my generator wouldnt start. I used a tool battery inverter boiled some tank water a few times.

What annoys me is I talked to a guy about a whole house generator 3 weeks ago and he never got back to me. Uggg. I dont want to buy another small standby generator.

2 outages this morning so far, one for several hours. Propane generator to the rescue, but dang, just setting it up and starting it outside about froze me solid.

Mine went out last night around 11PM. Was at some friends at a Christmas party until 1AM, and didn't discover the outage until we got home. Tank was already down to 70 degrees. Started up the portable propane generator and everyone looks happy this AM, so no losses. We had discussed staying the night at our friends. I we had, I probably would have lost everything. This is at least the 4th significant outage in as many months since I installed the battery backup for the main pump.

One of my outside condensate drains iced up. Just thawed it with boiling water. Part of the price of high efficiency gas heat.

Man I was out from 2 am till 5pm and my generator wouldnt start. I used a tool battery inverter boiled some tank water a few times.

What annoys me is I talked to a guy about a whole house generator 3 weeks ago and he never got back to me. Uggg. I dont want to buy another small standby generator.
I don't think I'm too far from you. Let me know if you have problems again.

Overnight and this morning the power went out every 10-15 minutes for only 5 seconds. I think a transformer or our grid was overloaded. They've got us in a brownout now. Voltage has been 102 to 111 since around 10:30am.
Also had a breaker go bad on the HVAC. Once replaced it seems to be doing better. But I bet we're sucking down the juice now with the heat strips firing up every hour or so.

Been a long day.

My sister had the same issue with her house in Suwanee this morning. Metal roofing and attic units are tough on condensate lines.
I insulated the furnace exhaust pipes with 2 inch pipe insulation. That helps prevent freezing of the moist gases there, but the drains are hard to do anything about. Especially when they are close to the ground where they exit the building.

Back