Wrasse not looking good in QT

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I picked up a female 8line flasher 2.5 weeks ago and a male royal flasher 1.5 weeks ago. Both have been doing very well in QT, eating well, getting along ok with each other. I doesed prazipro on Sunday, I fed Sunday afternoon and on Monday, both were just as good as before. Yesterday when I got home around 4pm, the royal is hiding in some PVC inside a mucous cocoon. The female is just fine. I fed a little, she ate like normal. Today the male is still inside the PVC, I don't see any mucous, just the wrasse, still breathing but kind of heavily.

The QT has never had medication besides the prazi, has a small canister filter, some Sechem Matrix that was in my DT sump until they were added, a air pump to add O2, and a few pieces of PVC. I'm thinking to go ahead and do a WC even though I haven't completed the prazi treatment and maybe try again this coming weekend with the meds. Any ideas?

I don't think royal flashers burrow? I hope not at least since I have one in the frag tank with no sand.

Flashers don't borrow, they make the mucous nest at night to sleep as well as a defense mechanism.

Bump for some advice. I've seem him eat a little in the last two days. He's still kind of hiding and not swimming around like before. I did a WC and he seemed a bit better but now he seems to be doug bad again.

Sorry, no real advice as the only thing I ever quarantined was my fire fish. Following along and hoping for the best.

Have you tried different foods? Any live foods?

They're still eating, especially the female. I have been feeding pellets, which I know they're both eating, and flakes, which the royal was eating. The day before they started acting strange in QT I fed frozen mysis which both ate.

Sean do you have access to live black worms? My wrasses love them or any live food, they also love frozen blood worms.:yes:

I don't. He's still eating just not with gusto like before. I did notice he had some white poo so I'm assuming he had something and the prazipro is doing the trick.

mix kanaplex & focus with mysis or metro & focus with mysis.

Barrettrhoades;995353 wrote: If you are dosing Prazi, shouldn't you take the carbon out? Probably unrelated though.

No carbon in the tank

Ralph ATL;995364 wrote: mix kanaplex & focus with mysis or metro & focus with mysis.

I don't have either of those on hand Ralph, but I'll try to find some tomorrow.

I got my Rod's shipment in so I'll try some fish eggs tomorrow. He, the royal, was looking a little more "happy" when I got home from the meeting. Came out of the PVC, actually swimming a little to grab a few pellets.

The female 8line is still doing great but doesn't like flake food but devours pellets. She'll taste the flakes a few times but will always spit it out eventually.

Is the 8-line picking on the Royal? IME they can be pains in the wrasse.

Jenn

Unfortunately I lost both in QT. Not sure if it was the prazi they didn't take well to or some how something contaminated the tank. I found the royal dead a day after doing a WC then the 8line a day later after doing a WC when I found the royal dead. I'm pretty pi$$ed about the whole situation. It was my first time using prazi in QT so I'm a little uneasy of it now.

HiImSean;997459 wrote: Unfortunately I lost both in QT. Not sure if it was the prazi they didn't take well to or some how something contaminated the tank. I found the royal dead a day after doing a WC then the 8line a day later after doing a WC when I found the royal dead. I'm pretty pi$$ed about the whole situation. It was my first time using prazi in QT so I'm a little uneasy of it now.

Sorry to hear of that Sean. Now I'm worried as I have two wrasses in QT and am planning a prazi treatment as well. I was hoping for better news.

I've been using prazi pro for years with no ill effects. In my ten gallon I take a 1/2 teaspoon and mix it with a 1/2 cup tank water and then pour in tank.

The active ingredient can also be purchased and mixed with food.

Back