Wrasse Owners

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
I have a few questions for those who own wrasses, I'm trying to get a better understanding on how many in a tank, and what they are compatable/non compatable with. I have a 250 gallon tank that currently houses a yellow coris wrasse and two clowns, and am planning on adding a few tangs. Any and all info is helpful. What size tank do you have? How many wrasses do you have (and a list of which ones)? What other fish do you keep? Do you notice alot of aggression between them, and how do you reduce aggression? Do you notice any of them picking at your cuc and/or coral? Thanks

always owned a melanarus wrasse. it is needed for a reef tank imho.

265 dt

they will eradicate any pest in your tank, and snails if they get hungry or ballsy. usually a leader of my tang pack. (regal abd yellow). apprehensive(which can be confused for shy), but aggressive. most of the time he ignores everything but new additions will make him taste test them for food. even a birdsnest lol.

this usually goes away after you add more confusing "stuff" to the tank

ive had this same behavior to a lesser extent in my old 220

Russ-IV;1041805 wrote: always owned a melanarus wrasse. it is needed for a reef tank imho.

265 dt

they will eradicate any pest in your tank, and snails if they get hungry or ballsy. usually a leader of my tang pack. (regal abd yellow). apprehensive(which can be confused for shy), but aggressive. most of the time he ignores everything but new additions will make him taste test them for food. even a birdsnest lol.

Are you planning to add more wrasses?

Russ-IV;1041805 wrote: always owned a melanarus wrasse. it is needed for a reef tank imho.

265 dt

As always everyone has their own ideas about reefing...
I'd never own a melanarus wrasse because they EAT MOST ALL INVERTS. I like cleaner shrimp and many other inverts.
Peppermint shrimp can be a blessing when and if you get at aptaisa, they saved me! A reefer freind's peppermints were all eaten within 24 hours of tank introduction. He's had a horrible, nasty fight with aptaisa for years. His melanarus died of old age a few months ago and his tank is finally pest free!

I've got a female McCorkers Flasher Wrasse, 2 male Linespot Flashers Wrasse, female Blue Flasher, (bought all these together), Blacker Ice Clowns, Yellow Tang, Pink Spotted Goby, Ruby Red Dragonette, Firefish, Blue Chromis and Ignitus Anthias in a 75 gallon living happily.

IMHO and how I decided which wrasse to purchase is look on Liveaquaria. They have a compatability chart and a selection of "reef safe" and FOWLER only. If a wrasse is going to nip it won't be under reef safe and if it's possibility going to eat inverts it will tell you under that fishes details.

The biggest problem with aggression in multiple wrasse comes into play with the males (as usual :)). They all want to be "King" of the throne. Most reef safe female will get along but many don't have the striking color as the male so pick you selection and introduce your females into your tank first.
Many males will do better if you QT them at the same time but it's usually recommend to add the males last (and at the same time).
Hope that helps!

yeah,id never have another melanarus either.mine was a bully and chased my leopards to the point of jumping not to mention constantly having to buy new snails.
i have a male meleagris leopard,potters leopard,blue star leopard,male and female Naokos fairies in a 120

Flashers are generally pretty good with other flashers. Fairy wrasses sometimes will be less compatible with each other but I'm not sure how "aggressive" they are towards each other. There's some huge wrasse fanatics on RC that have about 20 wrasses in a tank your size.

LSU_fishFan;1041809 wrote: Are you planning to add more wrasses?

possibly a sunrise or banana wrasse. (with the understanding i may have to relocate the bully)

lol@melenarus wrassee dying and finally having a pest free tank

i keep the melenarus wrasse because he is so aggressive with inverts. You wont have a flat worm crash with one scouring your tank all the time. So he is insurance to that. Every weekend is like the "elephant boneyard" from lion king with the snail shells he snacks on.

ill never own peppermint shrimp with lps. They will eat them or pick them to death. so far the cleaner hasnt been as aggressive.

Barry, how's your china wrasse been? That's one I'd love to have. Did you get it locally or online?

I've got a flame hawk, so shrimp are out of the question for me anyway, but i still probably wouldn't own a melenarus because I enjoy watching my various types of snails putter around the tank.

I currently only have a blue star leopard wrasse. I recently lost a male carpenter wrasse that was gorgeous, but he somehow managed to find the only way out of my tank, a 1 inch hole that I run some wires through - go figure.

In my experience, "reef safe" wrasse are fine as females, and as long as your males aren't similar in shape or color, they will leave each other alone too.

I'm planning on adding a FFM trio of some sort in the future. Probably a flasher trio.

I have a yellow coris wrasse who is a model citizen. But, stay away from the red coris wrasses they have a tendency to rearrange and tip over your unglued frags all day long (I made the mistake) Plus, keep in mind wrasses are really hard to catch once you introduce them into your tank. Lol

Russ I have had a pair peppermints in my tank since the beginning and they never touched any LPS other than to clean around them since they are great scavengers. I'm not sure I've ever heard of them eating LPS.

Bcavalli;1041844 wrote: I have a yellow coris wrasse who is a model citizen. But, stay away from the red coris wrasses they have a tendency to rearrange and tip over your unglued frags all day long (I made the mistake) Plus, keep in mind wrasses are really hard to catch once you introduce them into your tank. Lol

Russ I have had a pair peppermints in my tank since the beginning and they never touched any LPS other than to clean around them since they are great scavengers. I'm not sure I've ever heard of them eating LPS.

target feed them with cyclopeze and oyster eggs for a couple days. they wont "eat" the lps but they will reach in their mouths and grab whatever is undigested repeatedly.

stressed a goni to death, and ripped out a shrimp from an elegance's mouth.

Russ-IV;1041846 wrote: target feed them with cyclopeze and oyster eggs for a couple days. they wont "eat" the lps but they will reach in their mouths and grab whatever is undigested repeatedly.

stressed a goni to death, and ripped out a shrimp from an elegance's mouth.

Your right they will steal food from just about anywhere they can get it.

Bcavalli;1041847 wrote: Your right they will steal food from just about anywhere they can get it.

k doesnt literally "eat" them. but when they use those front legs like a hibachi chef and pieces of lps shreds are flying up just to get at a half eaten pod, it is the same end result.

Bcavalli;1041844 wrote: I have a yellow coris wrasse who is a model citizen. But, stay away from the red coris wrasses they have a tendency to rearrange and tip over your <u>unglued</u> frags all day long (I made the mistake) Plus, keep in mind wrasses are really hard to catch once you introduce them into your tank. Lol

Maybe if you didn't have commitment issues... :lol2:

I always have had a yellow coris wrasse. I love them. Others I would keep again are Lubbock's McCosker's, and blue-sided fairies. I have always wanted some lineatus wrasses but they are a bit pricey.

I am in the middle of changing tanks but will definitely have many wrasses in my new 300g.

HiImSean;1041836 wrote: Flashers are generally pretty good with other flashers. Fairy wrasses sometimes will be less compatible with each other but I'm not sure how "aggressive" they are towards each other. There's some huge wrasse fanatics on RC that have about 20 wrasses in a tank your size.
How would a few flasher and fairy wrasses mix? I don't think I would be close to 20 wrasses!
stacy22;1041853 wrote: I always have had a yellow coris wrasse. I love them. Others I would keep again are Lubbock's McCosker's, and blue-sided fairies. I have always wanted some lineatus wrasses but they are a bit pricey.

I am in the middle of changing tanks but will definitely have many wrasses in my new 300g.
I also like the McCosker and the Lubbock wrasse and would like to own a mystery wrasse.

Does anyone have negative experience with the coris wrasse being aggressive toward new wrasses? I think mine has picked out a few crabs and snails that make their way near his sleeping spot in the sand, but for the most part he leaves everything alone.

LSU_fishFan;1041883 wrote: How would a few flasher and fairy wrasses mix?

Neither will stay in the tank very long without a lid. Start planning for one if you don't already have one.

Ringo®;1041885 wrote: Neither will stay in the tank very long without a lid. Start planning for one if you don't already have one.

+500

I have a glass lid and I still lost a carpenter wrasse... Those guys are practically ninjas.

Back