Xenia Gone Wild - What Do You Do?

bzb

Market
Reaction score
So these xenia pieces that Jin and Steve gave me: they've gone buck wild poppin up everywhere. I've been pulling the rogue ones with tweezers and tossing those (when I can actually get to them), but there were a couple rocks that I intentionally grew out. Greatest intentions...

Yeah, so, about all those warnings about "weed control" - yet again, Bobby don't listen much very good (note the GSP, as well). I thought this first one would be a nice little combo rock with mushrooms. One of the shrooms is the size of my hand when fully extended - not so much now. And the best part, this is two different xenia, the pulsing variety is just intermixing with the feathery stuff.

20200422_094959.jpg 20200422_094954.jpg

They're constantly dropping heads, which are easy to pick out. I feel bad just tossing them, but I have no room and no frag tank (and zero plans for that, so stop it you evil temptresses).

What do yall do with these? Do you really just toss em? Throw em in the sump and experiment with low lighting? Does anyone else want these super pretty devil corals to soak up some nitrates?

I do love the look and the movement. I just wish there was a better way to control them.

So these xenia pieces that Jin and Steve gave me: they've gone buck wild poppin up everywhere. I've been pulling the rogue ones with tweezers and tossing those (when I can actually get to them), but there were a couple rocks that I intentionally grew out. Greatest intentions...

Yeah, so, about all those warnings about "weed control" - yet again, Bobby don't listen much very good (note the GSP, as well). I thought this first one would be a nice little combo rock with mushrooms. One of the shrooms is the size of my hand when fully extended - not so much now. And the best part, this is two different xenia, the pulsing variety is just intermixing with the feathery stuff.

View attachment 22507 View attachment 22508

They're constantly dropping heads, which are easy to pick out. I feel bad just tossing them, but I have no room and no frag tank (and zero plans for that, so stop it you evil temptresses).

What do yall do with these? Do you really just toss em? Throw em in the sump and experiment with low lighting? Does anyone else want these super pretty devil corals to soak up some nitrates?

I do love the look and the movement. I just wish there was a better way to control them.
I toss them unfortunately. I also toss pieces of Kenya tree that break off the momma.

I’ll take some of the pulsing type next time you decide to clean them up if you don’t mind. Got some from Jin but lost them during my battle with dinos.

I’ll take some of the pulsing type next time you decide to clean them up if you don’t mind. Got some from Jin but lost them during my battle with dinos.
I got you. I can frag some off soon as i need to trim them back.

how many different types of xenia are there? yours looks totally different than mine, although it could just be the flow

They mixed together on the left side of the tank, there's two different types. I stopped the gyre to take these. The right side rock is mixed in with mushroom corals... big oops.

20200422_140538.jpg. 20200422_140336.jpg

how many different types of xenia are there? yours looks totally different than mine, although it could just be the flow

Hard to tell the sizing on a frag plug, but yours looks similar to the ones on my left rock - pulsing/pumpint xenia.

The feathery stuff I have I believe is just pom pom xenia... maybe?

So it sounds like I'm going to have to figure out how to make a xenia island. Guess aquascaping is on the menu this weekend.

So it sounds like I'm going to have to figure out how to make a xenia island. Guess aquascaping is on the menu this weekend.
Islands work for the most part but i have xenia on another rock structure because they detached from the original rock.

Islands work for the most part but i have xenia on another rock structure because they detached from the original rock.

The anthelia is definitely doing this. Just appears in random spots.

The pulsing seems to just drop off and attach to sand or rubble.

The anthelia is definitely doing this. Just appears in random spots.

The pulsing seems to just drop off and attach to sand or rubble.
Well for me they have dropped and floated to a nearby rock structure

Back