Xenia Invasion

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
I have a couple of varieties of xenia in my tank. The white pom pom xenia is not too invasive and I can keep it under control. The other enlogated kind is poping up all over my tank. They are too small to frag or peel off the rocks. One has even attached to one of my monti-caps.

I know you can get a needle and inject vinigar or lemon juice or something into aptasia to kill it.

Will that work for xenia?
If not...how can I stop the invasion?

Thanks!

Can't u just go at it with a blade and trim it? I know some ppl (like me) thta are new in coral would love some. Just give it away when u trim them.

Just don't add it to your tank! I added it to mine and then cut it all out, and flipped the rock it was on over so it couldn't recieve light. I saw some poking out a few months later but haven't seen any since.

Chris, all I can say is I am sorry. It can be done. I do not have one stalk left. Just scrape off the rock any thing that might resemble a piece of xenia. Get what you got off the rock out of your of the tank. Do not let settle in another spot. If a large clump is on a single rock; sell that rock. You can beat it man, I did.

ramone;276311 wrote: Chris, all I can say is I am sorry. It can be done. I do not have one stalk left. Just scrape off the rock any thing that might resemble a piece of xenia. Get what you got off the rock out of your of the tank. Do not let settle in another spot. If a large clump is on a single rock; sell that rock. You can beat it man, I did.

LOL!! Yeah Glen...if they only knew!

I dont mind having the xenia...I just want to keep it isolated. I will try more scraping.

christopherjay;276345 wrote: pshhh just give me the xenia my wife loves it..Ill even pick it up

If I get anything fraggable...I will let you know Chris!

I take a piece of cloth to grab the main part of it (because it's slippery) and gently tug while using a knife blade or razor blade in the other and to pry it off at the base. Is some gets left, I scrub it off with a toothbrush,

Have always heard that Xenia thrives in a tank with dirtier water versus not thriving in cleaner water. Some of the long time veterans might want to react to that. If so, making more water changes and a little less feeding might make a difference. I have it lots in my 11 Gallon Nano tank where its a struggle to keep crystal clean. In my big tank (90 gal with big sump/refugium etc) only have two pieces and its never spread, but I am running GFO, good skimmer and lots of water movement in that tank.

Joe

Back