Yellow tail Damselfish help.....

FinParadiseAquaticsLLC

Market
Reaction score
So the wife and I have had 3 young yellowtail damselfish that are a great addition to the reef, but we added a 4th one(bigger than the other 3) a few weeks ago and it is wreaking havoc in the tank. It's killed 2 out of 3 Talbots and Tailspot Blenny. Why are 3 out of 4 Yellow Tail Damselfish super calm and chill but the 4th one is the under water reaper!? What do we do?

That's what I'm thinking we should do. Because it's only that one. It's twice the size of the other 3. We even have a PJ that's just constantly staying to the side because of the damselfish, we think. I'll talk to the wife and see what she would like to do. Thank you for your response l!

I’ve heard that all damsels are pretty gangster to downright murderous( dominos and the aptly named Fiji blue devil)
Of course it depends on the individual fish, but those from the chrysiptera family are supposed to be less aggressive, which I think the yellow tail is from.
How large is your tank? Most of the success stories I’ve read on reef to reef with multples are in large(200+ gallon) tanks with lots of rocks and larger fish spread the anger. In the wild most of these males have their own territory, so putting them in a much smaller area may bring out extra aggression.

I have two starcki damsels in my tank. The larger of the two does do his fair share of chasing but it is not constant, more like someone gets in his way. I made sure to add them last and use an acclimation box for a week.

I would get rid of the new addition and make sure you’re using an acclimation box if you add any other fish. I’ve seen it recommended to add damsels last to make sure they aren’t defending territory from new fish that are added

I’ve heard that all damsels are pretty gangster to downright murderous( dominos and the aptly named Fiji blue devil)
Of course it depends on the individual fish, but those from the chrysiptera family are supposed to be less aggressive, which I think the yellow tail is from.
How large is your tank? Most of the success stories I’ve read on reef to reef with multples are in large(200+ gallon) tanks with lots of rocks and larger fish spread the anger. In the wild most of these males have their own territory, so putting them in a much smaller area may bring out extra aggression.

I have two starcki damsels in my tank. The larger of the two does do his fair share of chasing but it is not constant, more like someone gets in his way. I made sure to add them last and use an acclimation box for a week.

I would get rid of the new addition and make sure you’re using an acclimation box if you add any other fish. I’ve seen it recommended to add damsels last to make sure they aren’t defending territory from new fish that are added
They are in a 60g Corner Tank. Lots of rock and hiding spots. Not many fish either.

Back