Yikes! It got cold last night....

darren24

Market
Reaction score
Spent yesterday afternoon and last night at a friends lake house. When I came home a few minutes ago to check my tank the temp was 73.7. It normally runs at around 79. Funny thing is nothing looks distressed. Guess it is time to plug the heaters back in. :)

Get an Apex Jr w/o the display for +/- $160 then use Fusion or a PC to program the controller.
I control my heater with mine.
You wont have to worry about your tank temperature.

My tanks are a couple degrees cooler now as well. Great time to either plug thr heaters in like D said, or check the ones we have in the tank already for proper function.

I would rather have my reef too cool than hot anytime, though. Cool kills so much slower than hot.

seriously, I also went and added 2x jager 150W heaters into my sump. And my apex tells me my AMP usage went from 2.7 to 4.8. WOW :(

33m7ewk.jpg
alt="" />

and I just added 2nd LED (reef breeders phonton 32) and it went up from 2.7 to 3.1...

qnjity.jpg
alt="" />

So now I know heaters are consuming ALOTS of power.. O.O
Maybe my LED's will save me some electricity in coming winter. LOL

Wow ^^^ that doesn't sound right to me. I'm not an electrician nor do I even like to mess with most electrical but how could heating the tank in a room temp control home use as much amps as your pumps, skimmer, lights ...?

Darren24;989425 wrote: Spent yesterday afternoon and last night at a friends lake house. When I came home a few minutes ago to check my tank the temp was 73.7. It normally runs at around 79. Funny thing is nothing looks distressed. Guess it is time to plug the heaters back in. :)

Glad everything's ok. I've never unhooked my heaters but that's a smart idea! Why run or leave it in the tank all summer, I'll take it out next year. :)

I've been having a heat issues since I've started running an additional Maxijet 2500 on a UV. Yesterday I recieved a Quite One 4000 to swap out the "Heat Hog" Mag 9.5. I haven't had time to swap yet but today my temp hasnt went over 78 using both. Looks like I could've help off until next summer :(

So yay. I dont know why but here is screen shot of my apex fusion.
I did a tank swap this morning from scratched up 120 to brand new 120 so there was boost in heat to my temp probe in the sump for some reason. Must been because all the body heats. Lol.

Picture shows current amp usage and what my apex are controlling atm. Only thing off is heaters. You can see the amp jump earlier when I did some testings here and there.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
989520=56628-Screenshot_2014-10-05-20-29-00.png
>
989520=56628-Screenshot_2014-10-05-20-29-00.png
class="gc-images" title="Screenshot_2014-10-05-20-29-00.png[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
989520=56627-Screenshot_2014-10-05-20-29-09.png
>
989520=56627-Screenshot_2014-10-05-20-29-09.png
class="gc-images" title="Screenshot_2014-10-05-20-29-09.png[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I had to run out this morning and get a bunch of heaters for the three tanks... apparently 100w on 100g of water isn't enough. :lol:

Camellia;989512 wrote: Wow ^^^ that doesn't sound right to me. I'm not an electrician nor do I even like to mess with most electrical but how could heating the tank in a room temp control home use as much amps as your pumps, skimmer, lights ...?

To calculate amps from watts you decide the total wattage by the voltage supplied. So two 150 watt heaters would be 300 total watts. Dived by the voltage which is 120 (fluctuates some but not much) gives you 2.5 amps.

rdnelson99;989582 wrote: To calculate amps from watts you decide the total wattage by the voltage supplied. So two 150 watt heaters would be 300 total watts. Dived by the voltage which is 120 (fluctuates some but not much) gives you 2.5 amps.

Thanks Rich, I used to know that but it must have been in the lower left side of my brain sleeping :)

Camellia;989636 wrote: Thanks Rich, I used to know that but it must have been in the lower left side of my brain sleeping :)

Kind of like spelling is for me. Good lord. I just read my post. Or tried to read it. LOL

Back