Your Experience with LEDS

mattgee87

Market
Reaction score
I am on the fence about LED's being I tried them about a year ago with a Maxspect Razor and I don't know if it was the tank or just my bad luck, but I couldn't grow anything under those lights. :unsure: When I upgraded to a 75 Gallon I bought a 2x 250W Metal Halide light and low and behold my coral started to grow and color up. Everything has been running semi smooth with the tank but I went to a fellow ARC members house and saw his tank lit but LED's and it made me miss the LED pop so bad. So I was wondering what y'alls experience has been with LED's and if you recommend them. I'm looking at the Reefbreeder photon 48" specifically.

This is what I experienced coming from t5s.I went with AI hydras over my 180 with mostly sps in it.The first 3 to 4 months I was about to pull the leds off and for get it.But after the corals adjusted and I got the lights dialed in they colored up nice, and showing signs of growth. Can't tell you the speed of the growth yet but as long is I know there growing, thats a start.Hope it helps.

Chinese MM EBay led's here, you should see coral growth in pics, those pics were taken within 4 to six months period.
However I'm switching to T5's+led's this time. I might change my mind but willing to support space dominated tank

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Meant to say sps dominated! Grrr this autocorrect kills me :)

Sn4k33y3z;964889 wrote: REEFERMAN- Do you have any pic's of your tank?

Dude he has got some sick stuff. His acros are very nice. I've bought from him. He was one of the things that helped my decision. I got my RB P48 in tonight:yay:

I would say Reggie (Reeferman) is the exception to the rule around here. He has the only LED lit Acro tank I know of that has undeniable results. It takes a very fine tuned reefer to pull off LED's like that.

I would say the type of tank you plan on keeping should dictate your decision. If going heavy Acro, you will encounter enough hurdles and challenges already to use anything other than THE proven method- MH.

I run both MH and LED on my Acro dominated tank. It allows for a TON of pop and flexibility.

Sn4k33y3z;964889 wrote: REEFERMAN- Do you have any pic's of your tank?

no new pics.havent taken any pics since Ryan shut down Reefworks and moved north[he was the photographer lol.]
all i have is a crappy iphone and with a newly broken hand,no new pics in the forseeable future.
thanks Seth,means a lot coming from you brother.

imagejpg1_zps85863d0a.jpg
alt="" /></a>

All led 1 1/2 years now.

Seth The Wine Guy;964938 wrote: I would say Reggie (Reeferman) is the exception to the rule around here. He has the only LED lit Acro tank I know of that has undeniable results. It takes a very fine tuned reefer to pull off LED's like that.

I would say the type of tank you plan on keeping should dictate your decision. If going heavy Acro, you will encounter enough hurdles and challenges already to use anything other than THE proven method- MH.

I run both MH and LED on my Acro dominated tank. It allows for a TON of pop and flexibility.
this is too funny...lol

Amazing kzoo, what is blasting water inside the tank? Its the powerheads or the return? If powerheads, Wich ones? Thanks

joseayes;964960 wrote: Amazing kzoo, what is blasting water inside the tank? Its the powerheads or the return? If powerheads, Wich ones? Thanks

Thanks 2 WP 25s , one tunze 6025 and jebco dc 900 for return.

Really nice, I can see the water waves, nice growth and color, the deep dimension appearing from the rock work and the distribution with the color, nice work man!

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/member.php?u=665"><span style="color: black">kzoo</span></a> that is a really nice tank!

Have any of you went LED then back to MH or T5?

Seth , its stories like yours that kinda scare my away from LED's But then you see tanks like Kzoo's and it makes me want leds lol

Back