Your opinion on RapidLED's Onyx Dimmable LED light

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on the RapidLED Onyx dimmable LED fixture. Has anybody used one? If so, what were your impressions of the light and do you have a comparison to any other LED?

Hi Jeff - I have two of them over the tank you sold me. The fixture seems to be very solid and the customer service is great. Had a complaint about one of them because I felt it was slightly dimmer than the other, RapidLED sent me a replacement unit and postage to return the other one in, no questions asked. Pretty darn good customer service there and they always respond to my emails within a few hours during business hours. However, I don't have anything to compare it to.

The onyx is a pretty good fixture, I would go as far as to say it's a little better than the reefbreeder, simply because as small as that light is it puts out more light then the 16x8 RB.
Can be manually dimmed or hooked up to an apex for full controllability and if my memory server me right it is a 3 channel light.
I looked in too get the onyx for my build but went for the cost price fixtures.

Jeff... I have three over my 180, controlled via Apex.

I did a lot of compassion shopping. A big plus for me was the warranty and LED brand. They use Cree. Don't remember the warrenty specifics, but they beat everyone else and when the warrenty expires the will still replace a defective fixture at a reduced cost.

Had one replaced about a year ago... No hassle. I few months ago I bought a new fan to have as a spare... They threw two more in the box at no cost.

Prior to the Onyx I used second generation Maxspecs.

If your picking them up new :
Warranty: 18 months. We absolutely stand by our product! Thus, if the lights stop working after 18 months but is within a 5 year window from purchase date, we will replace/fix the unit for a flat fee of $75 + shipping.

Back