Zoa nudibranch

jdavid

Market
Reaction score
So today I found a zoa nudibranch for my first time. I pulled it out with tweezers, and inspected the zoas and did not find any eggs.. Although I have ha problems lately with zoas not opening in this tank. The frag tank seems clean, they are all small frags that open up great. I will be keeping an eye on those as well but I think they are okay. The strange part is that there has been new additions to the 8g biocube where I found the nudi. I have seachem reef dip but I have read that it is not effective, but a FW dip is but will kill zoas as well. I have never seen one before, so if there was only ever one that hitchhiked in on a frag, is it possible that it never was able to breed? The zoas not opening up was one frag then that frag started opening up and a different colony started having issues at the same time. And as stated the frag tank seems to be clean with no issues. I'll be flashlight checking at night

Just wanted to share and see if anyone has any advice. Also I won't be giving away/selling any zoa frags until I am sure that they are not in the frag tank but think I might have this contained already.

Posted w my iPhone in the car so pks excuse typo/autocorrect

Edit: Wow lol let me edit that

Edit: That's better

I had zoa munching nudi's also. I use revive coral dip and it kills them dead pretty quick. You pretty much see them falling off after 2 or 3 minutes. Softies can go for 7 or 8 mins pretty easy so works well. Have to be careful with sps though, it will kill a smooth skin sps after about 8 mins. The flatworms are falling off around minute 2 or 3 also and I pretty much never dip sps more than 5 minutes these days and haven't had a problem.

I would dip the crap out of any colony that doesn't open to be honest. I've seen the little buggers cruising across the glass looking for a new host. I found pretty much one fat nudi in each frag and then a few babies here or there. never saw the eggs and i've always dipped everything. But I used to dip with coralRX which is terrible IMO. Revive kills redbugs also, coral rx doesn't. I dipped an sps in coral rx for 45 minutes and red bugs still partying.

I also have suspicions that the nudi's weakened the colonies because I got zoa pox not too long after the nudis were dead. No proof of course.

Best of luck, let me know if I can help more!

Thanks for sharing Def dipping the zoas in the 8g. I might get some revive too. At least the brown zoa eating nudis only eat zoas

Edit: Also I have inspected everything and not only are they all open now but can't find any more (even after pulling them out for a second to make them close). I'm on a late light cycle sonwhen the lights go off for a little while I plan On flash light searching

Just keep an eye out. I had a re-occurance a few weeks later. Mostly just tiny ones I think were eggs during first dip. No more after that. Course somethings killing my zoa's again 3 months later, but it's not nudi's as i've dipped and nothings come off. gotta love it!

did you try blasting it witha syringe while dipping? I dipped everything before it went in the tank as well, except a sour apple birdsnest frag and it wasn't on that.

I read that if you blast the coral with the dip (while dipping) it is more effective against nudis

you would think there would be more people would have had/dealt with this problem before with something to say about it

The eggs are laid in a circular pattern on the polyp. Pretty hard to get off with out using a razor or tool. If looking for eggs check any closed polyp. The irritation of eggs on the polyp will cause it to remain closed. You might need a magnifying glass to help locate them, they are pretty small. A hydrogen peroxide dip (75% saltwater 25% HP) will make about anything alive want to jump off that coral.

Spike;865354 wrote: The eggs are laid in a circular pattern on the polyp. Pretty hard to get off with out using a razor or tool. If looking for eggs check any closed polyp. The irritation of eggs on the polyp will cause it to remain closed. You might need a magnifying glass to help locate them, they are pretty small. A hydrogen peroxide dip (75% saltwater 25% HP) will make about anything alive want to jump off that coral.

that is good news! it seems every polyp is open, although I may need a bulb change because the polyps are really tall, and form a sort of canopy that closed polyps could be under. I want to be as as aggressive as possible without hurting any coral. It's such a small tank that there isn't a whole lot at risk. just some trumpets a frogspawn, acan frag, pulsing xenia (which is not pulsing anymore? only a little. not closing it's "gloves" all the way), a birdsnest, and three zoa colonies. okay maybe that is a lot but not by monetary value.

on first sight I will scrape or H2O2 dip. thanks Glenn.

Back