Zoa Pox home remedy

MiggidyMike

Supporting
Reaction score
So, I am in Tampa right now. I went to local fish store and purchased a paly. Not sure what kind, but anyways. After arriving back to relatives house. I noticed something that looked like Zoa Pox. When I get home, there will be no stores open due to holiday. Anyone know of home remedy stuff to use? I was thinking fresh water and peroxide. What do you guys think?

I have heard of some using iodine and peroxide dips with some success. I haven't had the joy of dealing with it myself

Joy? You are funny haha anyways hmm... iodine. Does anyone know of how to use the iodine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use lugols iodine and add enough so it looks like dark ice tea. leave it in for about 10 minutes then rinse in clean salt water before putting them back in the tank

You might also see if anyone in the club might have some furan 2 which can work. Also maybe fluconazole might work too? Someone smarter than me might know

Well, by the time I make it back. It will be Labor Day. I would only want everyone to be with their family.

Well, by the time I make it back. It will be Labor Day. I would only want everyone to be with their family.

You would be surprised at what members will do to help. If someone thinks the fluconazole will work I have some that you are welcome to

Ok, well. It still depends on the wifey haha if I get back late at night. Then it’ll be to late for me to go get it. Haha she doesn’t understand the love for animals like we do haha if I leave in the middle of the night to pick up medication for a little animal. She would give me the look. I’ll let you know tho. And I very much appreciate that

Are you sure it's pox? I've seem some zoas and palys with little white bumps on the stalk before. I don't have a ton of experience with zoas, much less zoa pox, but I have seen folks ask when there's a little white dot or two and it turned out to be nothing.

Are you sure it's pox? I've seem some zoas and palys with little white bumps on the stalk before. I don't have a ton of experience with zoas, much less zoa pox, but I have seen folks ask when there's a little white dot or two and it turned out to be nothing.

I will second @jcook54, you may want to be absolutely correct about zoa pox. There’s a lot of species of zoas and palys that have white specs in their stalks as well as near the polyps. You’ll even see them absorb substrate into their mat as they grow. I see it more with larger polyp varieties. Either way, I remember thinking the same thing when I saw it in my colonies when I was newer in the hobby.

Ok, when I get a chance. I’ll take a pic. I am not sure. I just have not seen this before and I just assumed it. Thanks for the inputs

I’m not sure of your method of dealing with new frags, but if possible throw it into a QT tank and see if they open up after some time. If it’s zoa pox they more than likely won’t open and will let ya know they’re sick. If you do not have a QT I would dip them and see what happens.
The pics aren’t super clear but I don’t think I see anything really obvious. I see white bumps and they look normal to me for zoas.

It looks like some normal zoa spots to me too. I don't know how to explain this but when it's zoa pox, the spots look really, really out of place. When it's normal spotting, it just looks more 'natural' to me and that's what you example looks like. Plus, the zoa pox that I've seen are usually larger than what you're seeing.

Man, I appreciate all y’all help. I will try to order some dips and medications for the future. Qt tank, has to be approved by wifey haha. But good to know these spots are normal looking.

Back