Zoa Pox

diprimak

Market
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think my zoas have zoa pox. They have been closed for a couple of days and small white bumps are starting to form on their stalks. I did some research and have found that many people recommend dipping in Furan 2. Does anyone have any suggestions. Any help would be much appreciated!

Furan 2 works (use gloves, it's a human carcinogen!), or another antibiotic I've used in the past (cephalexin, can get from just about any vet's offfice) is another good option. A lot less toxic to mammals, and in my experience gentler on the treated zoas - I've lost noticeably fewer affected polyps when using the cephalexin approach.

Admittedly, Furan 2 works quicker in most cases - 3 days of treatment followed by a couple days "recovery time" & repeat as needed, but it's more a cure-or-kill option. The cephalexin's more a treat-daily-until-cured regimen (up to a week in past courses). In either case try one regimen, and then switch to the other if the pox return or simply don't respond.

I've also had better results using tank water for the treatment dip, not freshly mixed as zoaid.com directs. Guaranteed parameter match that way and makes the dipping process quick, thus ensuring it actually happens. ;) Stir the bath frequently and use a pipette/baster to gently blow dip water at the polyps.

Incidentally, how many frags/colonies are you looking at treating? You'll need to dip ALL of them to be sure of knocking it out.

Thanks for the advice! I only have 4 colonies. Only 2 seem to be infected. I'll dip all 4 to be safe!

You're welcome! Pox is annoying because it can come in on even the smallest addition... either get used to running a short-term QT tank and doing a prophylactic treatment course on any new zoas, or discover the wonderful world of colorful palythoa. ;)

My parents would kill me if I got a QT tank. I'm headed to college next yr and already have a 80gal tank of breeding African cichlids with a 29gal for the fry. I hope the problem goes away fast. Would really hate to lose rastas and Oompa loompas.

Here's a link to the Furan-2 treatment: http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php">http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php</a>

Cephalexin treatment I'm not familiar with, but that medicine is also available for aquatic use and stores can usually order it. OR if you have a veterinarian that is willing to write you a prescription it's usually on the free list for grocery store pharmacies.

Jenn

In my experience (albeit limited, but I have dealt with pox using Furan2) yes. I would treat them all - you don't want them becoming reinfested if the ones not showing symptoms, have them.

Back