Zoas won't open

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
got some healthy zoas from Shac during Black Friday. it's been more than 2 weeks and the two frags of zoas have yet to open. one had some greenish brown stuff in it and I think it could be fungus. any suggestions? my other zoas are fine

I would suggest a dip for the ones with buildup. Also were do you have them located in your system? I would keep them low in the sand bed until they get acclimated to your lighting. Make sure no tank mates are picking on them, fish or coral.

Definately give them a dip and put some thought to where they are placed in your tank. I have LED's and when I moved some of my zoas up higher they stayed closed up for a week until I move them down lower and they opened up the next day.

hzheng33;1002860 wrote: got some healthy zoas from Shac during Black Friday. it's been more than 2 weeks and the two frags of zoas have yet to open. one had some greenish brown stuff in it and I think it could be fungus. any suggestions? my other zoas are fine

That's algae on your zoas. Give them a 10 min peroxide dip and place them back in your tank. Make sure to blow them off with a pipette while soaking in the peroxide/h20 mix. Detritus buildup can stop them from opening.

I came in to say a peroxide dip yoo. It'll pi$$ off the zoas but they should be just fine.

+1 ^^

Did u dip them with anything when you brought them home, before you put them in your tank? Not to suggest they have pests, however ALLWAYS dip no matter who you get corals from before you put ANYTHING in your tank.
You said in original posts "healthy Zoas" which is saying they were open at the store... As I'm positive Shac would only sell under such conditions... Shac and I actually had a conversation about pests. It happens to the best of us, eggs can't be killed and can go unnoticed but dipping gives you a much better chance...
I was at Shac's this weekend and purchased a bunch too but just saying as a "general rule" always dip for pests!!

It does sound like alage, like he said use it at 50%, and tank water for other 50.
Don't leave soaking for more than 10 minutes. Using the piplette or turkey baster to blow the mix into and around the Zoas real good to kill the algae. Rinse with tank water and try to get all the dead algae off before returning to your tank.

MarquiseO;1003018 wrote: yep, regular peroxide in the first aid isle.

Good Ol hydrogen peroxide right. Making sure before I do this dip. Had a few frags I got locally tht have a few pieces of algae on them.

One thing I can suggest is make sure nothing is messing with them. You could put them in a clear blueberry container to protect them and see if that makes a difference. I've had crabs and such mess with a less than healthy zoo colony for what it's worth.

Side topic. Those anyone know how this would affect aptasia? Recently saw a drag at my LFS but it had a small aptasia on the side and did not want to open that can of worms.

sucio_reefer;1003237 wrote: Side topic. Those anyone know how this would affect aptasia? Recently saw a drag at my LFS but it had a small aptasia on the side and did not want to open that can of worms.

It won't kill aptasia, sorry! There are products that will but I wouldn't risk it if your system is free of it now...

First of all...sorry for hijacking your thread Hui...

So I started dipping 1 frag of zoas this afternoon using 50/50 peroxide and tank water. This was my first time and so I did not know what to expect. The moment I put the frag in bubbles come out from around the frag and from inside 1 polyp itself. There are 5 polyps, 1 has been opened and 4 have not opened for a week now. The 1 open polyp closed up immediately and bubbles (string of bubbles) came out from that polyp. Is that normal observation? Or did something go wrong with that procedure? I left it there for 5 min and put it back in the tank. What do I expect to see next? Will it take a few days for the zoas to recover?

dustin;1003196 wrote: One thing I can suggest is make sure nothing is messing with them. You could put them in a clear blueberry container to protect them and see if that makes a difference. I've had crabs and such mess with a less than healthy zoo colony for what it's worth.
as far as I can tell, Nothing is bothering the zoas. there are many more frags on the frag rack that are acclimating well. I think it's the fungus or the algae that's causing the zoas to close

Dipped mine last night and got the bubbling action as well. Of course lights were set to go off and I'm at work today soooo won't see how the polyps are till Saturday. Stupid work getting in the way of reefing.

sucio_reefer;1003319 wrote: Dipped mine last night and got the bubbling action as well. Of course lights were set to go off and I'm at work today soooo won't see how the polyps are till Saturday. Stupid work getting in the way of reefing.

well, except for a few loaded people around here who don't need to work, work is what keeps our reefing going bro :)

Back